water glass egg crack

I would love a freeze drier but figured by the time I spend the money on buying one and then the food to freeze dry I could buy months worth of freeze dried food.

Would love others opinions on that
The cost turns away most people, however there are some situations that might help you justify it (I have no personal experience with these):
  • You could buy it as part of a group to greatly cut down costs. Most people would only use it occasionally, so this is possible.
  • If you have a large family, it is easier for it to pay for itself as you can buy many things in bulk on sale and then freeze dry them for long-term storage.
  • Commercial freeze dried products are often quoted as storing 25-30 years. You can match this if you take the proper steps when packaging them.
  • If you have an entrepreneurial bent, I've heard that freeze dried candies are popular and you could turn it into a small business to pay off your freeze dryer.

I would love a freeze drier but figured by the time I spend the money on buying one and then the food to freeze dry I could buy months worth of freeze dried food.

Would love others opinions on that
We have a freeze dryer, and it was worth it! We freeze dry everything g. Leftovers, whole meals, candy, literally hundreds of meals for a large family. If you are planning on buying a large amount of freeze dried food, I’d say do it. If not, probably not worth it for you.

If you are planning on buying a large amount of freeze dried food, I’d say do it. If not, probably not worth it for you.
I don't buy freeze dried food. I'd be looking at freeze drying my own, not as a way to save money over buying the premade food, but as a way to preserve food that I grow/harvest.

So I'm not thinking of it as a savings tool, but as an investment in self sufficiency.

Back
Top Bottom