Ways to reduce heat in brooder?

TheCelloHatcher

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2022
Hello all,

I've got 7 new chicks that I moved to their brooder a couple hours ago. After a few minutes, they were all clustered in one corner. I thought it was because the lamp I have was too hot for them, so I raised it a little bit. This continued a few times and now they are still pretty clustered, but the lamp is as high as I can make it.

Is the sticking together still because of the heat, and if so, how can I reduce the temp a bit?

Thanks!

Do you have a photo? That could help a lot in coming up with answers that might help you. Where is the lamp and where are they in relation to the lamp.

how can I reduce the temp a bit?
How big is the brooder? If you set the lamp over one corner the far corner may cool down.

How is your brooder made? Does it have good ventilation up high? You generally want good breeze protection down low but hot air rises. If you have ventilation up high the heat can dissipate.

Can you get a lower wattage bulb? That could make a huge difference.

What is the ambient temperature in the room? Would moving them to a different room help?

How old are they? Do they really need heat?

I don't know what you are working with so it is harder to come up with answers that may fit your situation. More information could really help.

Do you have a photo? That could help a lot in coming up with answers that might help you. Where is the lamp and where are they in relation to the lamp.
Ditto Dat!

Put your hand in the brooder and feel the temp if it doesn’t feel hot that that prob means your chicks are cold.
Best to use a thermometer on the floor of the brooder, both right under the lamp and at the other end of brooder, to know for sure.

Here's some tips about....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-chick-heat-blurb.75619/

Back
Top Bottom