Well...my redneck AC is a bust!

I only know about Schlitterbahn because my sister lives in TX. Everytime we go to visit, there has to be a trip to that place! I love it.
When I was a kid, Wet N Wild was the water park in DFW, it's still there, all grown over and sad. Now DFW has NRH20 in North Richland Hills. New Braunfels had the first Schliterbahn and then, the one on South Padre was built while we were living down there. (A little history for ya') 😊

You are given your birds Ivermectin every week?

I'm down in Houston and you couldn't pay me to purposely wet my chicken area. Wetting/misting it is breeding group for nasty things.

Yeah, I do electrolytes every 3rd day, and their viatmins every 3rd day (different days, though), so they are laying good, stong shelled eggs. They get their ivermectin once a week for parasites and yogurt, mixed with spent coffee grounds and some kind of chopped veggie or fruit in it, a couple times a week. I had thought of putting a plastic bowl with some watermelon in it, in the middle of the pool. LOL

Yeah, I do electrolytes every 3rd day, and their viatmins every 3rd day (different days, though), so they are laying good, stong shelled eggs. They get their ivermectin once a week for parasites and yogurt, mixed with spent coffee grounds and some kind of chopped veggie or fruit in it, a couple times a week. I had thought of putting a plastic bowl with some watermelon in it, in the middle of the pool. LOL
If you're feeding a commercially formulated feed then extra vitamins every 3 days sounds rather excessive. Ivermectin once a week sounds extremely excessive - that is a very good way to get parasite resistance happening in your flock, especially if you are not dosing properly to begin with. Horses and outside dogs usually get dewormed maybe four times a year...

If you're feeding a commercially formulated feed then extra vitamins every 3 days sounds rather excessive. Ivermectin once a week sounds extremely excessive - that is a very good way to get parasite resistance happening in your flock, especially if you are not dosing properly to begin with. Horses and outside dogs usually get dewormed maybe four times a year...
I'm only doing it right now for a little while because of our tick infestation at the lake. But yeah, maybe I'll back off and only do it twice a year or so. Thanks for the advice!

But as far as their little vitamin drops, the older two girls' eggs were having seriously soft, thin shells so I checked it out, on here and other places, and they all say that if they are constantly in shade (which my babies are), they aren't getting enough vitamin D. I also let them free-feed on oyster shells and chrunch up their own shells to put with them, but that wasn't helping the weak shelled eggs at all. So since I've done that every 3 days (just a little, in an extra waterer), they've had strong shells and good sized eggs. Also, chickens know what they need and don't need. So, I notice it's only about 4 of them who even bother to drink that extra water. The rooster hardly ever even goes over to check it out and the girls just go over and get a little when they want.

I'm only doing it right now for a little while because of our tick infestation at the lake. But yeah, maybe I'll back off and only do it twice a year or so. Thanks for the advice!

But as far as their little vitamin drops, the older two girls' eggs were having seriously soft, thin shells so I checked it out, on here and other places, and they all say that if they are constantly in shade (which my babies are), they aren't getting enough vitamin D. I also let them free-feed on oyster shells and chrunch up their own shells to put with them, but that wasn't helping the weak shelled eggs at all. So since I've done that every 3 days (just a little, in an extra waterer), they've had strong shells and good sized eggs. Also, chickens know what they need and don't need. So, I notice it's only about 4 of them who even bother to drink that extra water. The rooster hardly ever even goes over to check it out and the girls just go over and get a little when they want.
Ticks can be pretty nasty.
The shade and vitamin D makes sense. The extra waterer is a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom