What breed is this Red rooster?

Apr 20, 2023
I ordered a dark cornish rooster from Atwoods here in Oklahoma. This is a pic of him and my Barred rocks at maybe, 4 months old. He doesn't seem to be a dark cornish at all, since he is orange color, not dark. What breed does anyone think he is? He turned out to be about 10 to 12 pounds full grown with shimmery black tail feathers and wing tips. He died suddenly at about 8 or 9 months old, so I can't take another picture. I'd like another of what he was, but I don't know the breed.

Attachments

• 20221107_164852.jpg
    20221107_164852.jpg
    874.3 KB · Views: 16
I ordered a dark cornish rooster from Atwoods here in Oklahoma. This is a pic of him and my Barred rocks at maybe, 4 months old. He doesn't seem to be a dark cornish at all, since he is orange color, not dark. What breed does anyone think he is? He turned out to be about 10 to 12 pounds full grown with shimmery black tail feathers and wing tips. He died suddenly at about 8 or 9 months old, so I can't take another picture. I'd like another of what he was, but I don't know the breed.
He's a Red Broiler. A meat bird.

This is about what he looked like. I'd say New Hampshire Red, but he and his brother were heavy, very meaty.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230422_090300_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20230422_090300_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    591.4 KB · Views: 6
Your bird is not a New Hampshire. As others have said it's a broiler :)
Where would I get another one from? What company sells this orange colored heavy, meaty bird? Also, are they not supposed to be long lived? My two roos died around age 9 months. Seemed healthy. Bred hens fine. Then one day lethargic, the next day dead.

Where would I get another one from? What company sells this orange colored heavy, meaty bird? Also, are they not supposed to be long lived? My two roos died around age 9 months. Seemed healthy. Bred hens fine. Then one day lethargic, the next day dead.
Broilers are made to grow fast, & die early, cuz they're meat birds. It's often recommended to butcher them, for this reason.

Meyer's Hatchery carries them, plus a couple others.

Red Broilers can be purchased at a lot of places like McMurray Hatchery. However, I personally don't think it's humane to keep broilers as pets. Unless you give them VERY special care (measuring/restricting feed, promoting exercise, making sure roosts are low so they don't hurt their legs, etc.), they are bound to suffer. In fact, most won't live past 10-12 months even with that special care. Yours likely had a heart attack. There is a reason the hatcheries say to butcher no later than 12-13 weeks.

Since you liked this rooster's demeanor, maybe your best bet would be to get a breed that the red broiler originates from. I believe one of those breeds is the New Hampshire. They are supposed to be great roosters too. They are much hardier and will live longer than your broiler. Good luck. :) And sorry for your loss!

Back
Top Bottom