What heritage breeds do well in warm humid climate

MamaAyam

Chirping
Feb 19, 2020
We live in Southeast Asia and currently there’s only one layer breed available and it’s a hybrid. Possibly red comet. I’m not really sure. They just call them lay horns (which confuses things). :confused: And we can order meat birds as well. Those might be a Cornish cross. The problem is you have to order 100 chicks at one time... for either breed ... well, that’s the least of my problems.
There are also lovely local breeds. But I’m human and want what I can’t have. An American heritage breed. Maybe Wyandotte’s :love Or maybe not, maybe an Easter Egger. I guess hybrids or mutts are ok too. I just want a longer living breed. I feel like a failure when my poor Layers get sick and start dying after just 2 years. I’m pretty sure it’s their breed. Doesn’t seem fair for them though.
As far as local breeds there’s one they call Ayam Filipin (Ayam=chicken) I don’t really know if this breed is really from the Filipins. They are a game bird. The colors can vary quite a bit and the hens have beautiful fan like tails but alas they are not egg birds.
There is also a breed they call Ayam Bangkok. Yes a Thai fighting breed. It’s illegal but people still fight them here. :( I’ve used these before as meat birds. But they do tend to encourage my docile RC Roos to fight. They are great with people though.
There are other breeds here as well. Game types all. Flyers. All broody types. I do like to have at least one broody hen around.
Side notes.
-The locals aren’t used to a hen that lays and doesn’t sit.
-They either don’t believe me that she won’t go broody or can’t understand why I would want a chicken like that. :eek:
-They also have a hard time believing me that chickens don’t need a rooster to lay. It doesn’t help that I have roosters with my flocks.
-Just to help you understand most people here have chickens for meat not eggs. They will eat the extra eggs at times but a hen is usually allowed to sit her eggs.
If you are still with me, wow, that must mean I’m in the right spot. My DH would have definitely checked out by now. Especially with all the rambling.
Anyway, I’ll be back stateside soon and want to get eggs to bring back with me if possible. Any suggestions? And yes I’m serious about Wyandottes they are very striking. :love And maybe some blue egg layers. Just mostly birds that live longer than 2 years.

Hmm, it reallt comes down to if you are able to get heritage breeds in southeast Asia? That's the first question. after that, I'd avoid the really fluffy chickens like Orpington and breeds with heavily feathered legs like Brahmas or cochins, they have too much insulation.
I'm also a sucker for wydonettes, I have some Columbian wydonettes coming in April, (and, barred rocks, austalorps, Speckled Sussex)
I guess find what kind of breeds you have and collect as you can.

Hmm, it reallt comes down to if you are able to get heritage breeds in southeast Asia? That's the first question. after that, I'd avoid the really fluffy chickens like Orpington and breeds with heavily feathered legs like Brahmas or cochins, they have too much insulation.
I'm also a sucker for wydonettes, I have some Columbian wydonettes coming in April, (and, barred rocks, austalorps, Speckled Sussex)
I guess find what kind of breeds you have and collect as you can.
I would be pleased with some form of a laced Wyandotte. The Columbian sure look nice too though.

I'd love some blue laced red wyandottes but they're pricey or sold out. maybe next year for me.
Have you seen double silver laced Barnevelders? they are like silver laced Wyandotte but more so.

I highly doubt that wyandottes are appropriate for your climate. They were developed in New York state. Not really the same climate you want birds to do well in. First of all, a rose comb breed is inappropriate.
I might try Cubalaya or a Mediterranean class breed but there are so many other breeds more appropriate that aren't American, English or Continental class chickens.
For ease of care, one should always first select breeds developed in similar climates. The American and Continental class breeds discussed here are not those breeds.

Last edited:
I'd love some blue laced red wyandottes but they're pricey or sold out. maybe next year for me.
Have you seen double silver laced Barnevelders? they are like silver laced Wyandotte but more so.
I have now and I’m in love 😍

I highly doubt that wyandottes are appropriate for your climate. They were developed in New York state. Not really the same climate you want birds to do well in. First of all, a rose comb breed is inappropriate.
I might try Cubalaya or a Mediterranean class breed but there are so many other breeds more appropriate that aren't American, English or Continental class chickens.
For ease of care, one should always first select breeds developed in similar climates. The American and Continental class breeds discussed here are not those breeds.

We actually have a lot of rose combs here and they do quite well. It’s true that combs can help with temperature but my birds don’t seem to notice the difference. It’s not really a hot humid climate but a warm humid climate. We average low to mid 80s year round sometimes we can get into the 90s and then it’s hot. When it rains we can hit mid-low 70s and then it’s cool. It’s really quite nice in the shade.
Chickens really are amazing animals we took them from the jungles and bred them for our needs taking them all the way up to snowy heights and they manage pretty darn well wherever they are.
I’m off to check out some Cubalaya and Mediterranean breeds. 🙂

E7B26BD5-01B1-4BDB-9803-A38F4D4DE65F.jpeg F3D6575A-A047-4690-97CD-A2838AC0A812.jpeg A15B8901-5FBA-41E2-A020-A144828B4418.jpeg These hens and the rooster are my newest babies. They are the result of the red comet hens and a local rooster we named Fowler. (You can’t get RC roosters only hens) He was a pretty rooster his daughters would go broody about 90% of the time. I bred his sons back to the RCs untill I was getting good types that had daughters laying but not too broody. Now I’m pretty happy with what I’m getting with my hens and if all goes well I won’t have to order RCs again. I’m just hoping my girls will live a little longer.
Unfortunately I usually have to give away my extra birds every couple of years due to having to be back state side for extended periods of time. When that happens I just keep a remnant of younger birds for my return. I really should go around and ask about the ages of the ones I gave away to see how they are fairing.

We actually have a lot of rose combs here and they do quite well. It’s true that combs can help with temperature but my birds don’t seem to notice the difference. It’s not really a hot humid climate but a warm humid climate. We average low to mid 80s year round sometimes we can get into the 90s and then it’s hot. When it rains we can hit mid-low 70s and then it’s cool. It’s really quite nice in the shade.
Chickens really are amazing animals we took them from the jungles and bred them for our needs taking them all the way up to snowy heights and they manage pretty darn well wherever they are.
I’m off to check out some Cubalaya and Mediterranean breeds. 🙂
http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/chickenbreedcomparison.pdfhttps://www.communitychickens.com/the-mediterranean-breeds/http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Games/Cuba/BRKCuba.html

Back
Top Bottom