What in the world is wrong?? (weird eggs)

guest226

Chirping
Nov 18, 2023
I know i've made too many seperate threads about the same hen, but this is important and requires it's own thread.

My hen who was previously egg bound and had a shell-less egg break inside her recovered fully and was her normal self. Up until today she hasn't laid. This morning, though, she laid a PERFECT egg, fully pigmented and hard shelled. I had been giving her small amounts of calcium citrate daily for about a week prior.

Tonight, only a few hours after the perfect egg, I look in the roost and there are TWO shell-less eggs right below her. One looks like her normal egg, just shell-less, and she is already munching on the second, which looks like half the size. I get the egg away before she can eat more. I know these are both her eggs.

She is only 3 years old and has been laying for 2 years.

This is so confusing to me. Is this because she is recovering? Should I give her more calcium? Why did she lay 3 EGGS IN THE SAME DAY??? Egg drop syndrome? Faulty shell gland? HELP!!!

@Eggcessive
@Wyorp Rock
@azygous

How much calcium citrate has she been getting each day? If it wasn't at least 300mg, increase the dose to that or more.

Sometimes the ovulation can go haywire. Sometimes calcium can calibrate it. I say sometimes because sometimes a hen has a genetic glitch and she's doomed to have these ovulation issues. If she's a production breed, this issue is quite prevalent.

I know the eggs can back up in their system. I think continue with the calcium therapy. Is she eating normally, crop emptying, poops normal?
She’s eating normally and her crop is emptying, her poops that day were a bit more watery then normal.

How much calcium citrate has she been getting each day? If it wasn't at least 300mg, increase the dose to that or more.

Sometimes the ovulation can go haywire. Sometimes calcium can calibrate it. I say sometimes because sometimes a hen has a genetic glitch and she's doomed to have these ovulation issues. If she's a production breed, this issue is quite prevalent.
Yeah, she was getting a bit less than 300 mg every day. I’ll increase it. I was just afraid of her getting too much calcium.

She’s in the nesting box AGAIN right now. Has been in there for an hour so far. I can’t tell since i’m looking on a camera, but she’s standing up. I’m terrified that a soft shelled egg burst inside her again but I’m out of the house.

Just check on her when you get back. You’re doing all you can. The calcium can take awhile to reset their system. If you have access to a vet and the Suprelorin contraceptive implant, that will stop her ovulating for several months. But it’s expensive.

Back
Top Bottom