What size coop should I build to hold 14 chickens?

No, you'd only need three nests or so. Four - 5 hens can share a nest. Each bird needs about 4 square feet of space. That would mean you'd need about 56 sq feet of coop space, or say, 8 x 7.

However, I think we all recommend here to plan for a "chicken addiction." If you want to add more chickens later, when you build your coop is the time to plan for it by building bigger than you need!
lol.png

Thanks Llysse. Planning for additions is a great idea since I already have some breeds I would like to research for down the line. We recently moved from the city to 5 acres and had planned on getting chickens next year. However, my uncle had an Easter surprise for us.... 8 baby chicks. We just adore them. When I went to buy supplies I couldn't resit getting some more. With 4 and 2 year old boys and a 3 month old baby girls and now chicks, I have my work cut out for me. But so much FUN! Stefanie:
smile.png

Quote:
I know what you mean, I was just trying to figure if the addition was going to be enough for my baby chicks. I will have a total of 14 standard chickens and 5 bantams. And it will a be a 20x10 ft area. They don't have an outside fenced area but are allowed out to free range in the evening. Right now I have 4 standard and 5 bantams in a 10x10 ft. and the 10 babies in another place away from them.

I can't imagine having that many chickens in that small of a space. I know they just sleep in there but man. I have a 4X5 cocp that is 5' tall and it seems small for even the two banty chickens I have. But they stay in there, like a tractory. I move it around. I guess if you free range them or have a closed run, and they only sleep and nest in there it would work. But it does seem like a small area for that many chickens.

Marie

Back
Top Bottom