What to do after I kill my birds , fridge or freezer?

Chicks in VA

Bantams are the best👍😁
Mar 27, 2021
take a guess
So I butchered 2 RIR roosters and now am wondering if I should put them in the fridge for 2-3 days then freeze them or freeze them now?Thanks!

How old? If over a year I age longer a week or so. 10 days max close to 32f.
Age determines cooking methods also.
Screenshot_20201124-175957.png

I would say that it is best to freeze right away to be sure.
Be sure of what?

If you want to be sure they are tender, rest/age them either before or after freezing. (This will make them as tender as birds of their age can be. They will still not be as tender as chickens butchered at a much younger age.)

If you want to be sure they are safe to eat, refrigerating for several days is fine (before or after freezing.) Chicken meat is typically fine for quite a few days at refrigerator temperature after it is butchered. When you buy chicken from the store, you do not know how many of those days have already passed. When you butcher the chicken yourself, you do know.

If you want to be sure they are tough to chew, freeze them immediately, don't let them rest when you thaw/cook them (and maybe ignore any advice to cook them long, slow, and moist.)

Be sure of what?

If you want to be sure they are tender, rest/age them either before or after freezing. (This will make them as tender as birds of their age can be. They will still not be as tender as chickens butchered at a much younger age.)

If you want to be sure they are safe to eat, refrigerating for several days is fine (before or after freezing.) Chicken meat is typically fine for quite a few days at refrigerator temperature after it is butchered. When you buy chicken from the store, you do not know how many of those days have already passed. When you butcher the chicken yourself, you do know.

If you want to be sure they are tough to chew, freeze them immediately, don't let them rest when you thaw/cook them (and maybe ignore any advice to cook them long, slow, and moist.)
Be sure they are safe to eat and not go bad. We process our birds between 6 weeks and three months so never had an issue with tenderness (where I'm from we do not eat them too old because of the possibility of them being tough) but I'm glad i learned about this aging process!

Back
Top Bottom