WHATS THIS MEAN!????

justusnak

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Feb 28, 2007
South Eastern Indiana
I went out to gather eggs this afternoon...and could NOT believe what I found in the nest. A TINY egg....and I mean teeny tiny....way smaller than my frizzle bantam eggs...and it came from one of my yr old RIR/Mix. What would cause this?? Here is a pic...
The egg on the left...normal size...middle..Bantam egg...right...tiny egg from today.
TinyEgg07.jpg

Any ideas what might have caused this? I candled it...just for the heck of it..and I could see yolk..so looks like a whole real egg...im stumped!
idunno.gif

We've got 70+ chickens and I see VERY small eggs like that pictured here and there. Like the above poster said, nothing to worry about!

Whew!
clap.gif
Im so glad to hear nothing is wrong....this is a first for me....up untill now, my gals have been laying xtra large brown eggs....guess one just needed a break?
smile.png

dj.....well. I hear it isnt good to try and hatch a super small or super large egg... however ...I am going to try and hatch it...there just isnt enough there to eat!
lau.gif
If it works...great, maybe a TINY RIR??
gig.gif

If not...no biggie.

Good luck hatching it. I've always just threw them on the ground for the outdoor cats to eat. Sometimes they have a very small yolk in them and sometimes no yolk at all.

Deb, there is a term for the tiny eggs and my brain just can't think of it. ( pearl, maybe) anyway it usually means the start of a clutch, or the end of a clutch. Maybe one just started to lay,or one is going to take a rest or go broody. I've had some the size of an acorn!

bigzio

Bigzio.....go broody??? Ohhh, she BETTER NOT!! I have waited patiently for a hen to go broody...nothing, so I set 27 eggs in the bator, 6 days ago.....OH MY!! I might have some peeps for sale in a few weeks!
lau.gif

Here is a thought....might I be able to slip a few of these eggs under a broody hen, even tho they might be a week or so into incubation??

It's what's called a 'wind egg'. Usually, they only have yolk or just some whites in them. They won't hatch, so I wouldn't try putting it in an incubator--unless you want an egg bomb!

Also, if you ever did have an unusually small fertile egg that started growing, it still wouldn't survive. The egg may be smaller, but the chicken's genetics wouldn't be. The chick would die in the shell once it ran out of room to grow. This is a problem that Seramas have.

Back
Top Bottom