When do they start on the big bird food?

Shrader

Songster
12 Years
Apr 7, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
My 9 chicks are now almost 3 weeks old. And, I don't know who decided that "eats like a bird" means someone doesn't eat very much, because these little puffballs are pigs! I thought I had bought enough starter feed, but I'm almost out. When can I start feeding them regular chicken feed? Should I buy more starter feed, or just put down the seed now? Thanks.

Oh, definately buy more starter feed. They need to be on that untill about 18 to 20 weeks. then the layer pellets or crumbles. If I was you, I would go with a 50 pound bag.....I have 19, and at 5 weeks, they are on thier second bag...about half way through it.

I've only been feeding them organic feed, not the medicated kind. I was told that the medicated food would cancel out their innoculations.

Check the back of the feed bag. It should tell you what age your chicks should be before you stop feeding it.

For instance, we used Purina SunFresh Start & Grow, which is both starter and grower feed. We fed it until the birds were 18 weeks old and then switched to Layer feed.

Some people use starter feed for 8-10 weeks and then change to grower feed for 8-10 weeks and then change to layer feed.

Layer feed should not be fed to chicks before they are 18 weeks old because it contains more calcium than their bodies can handle.

Medicated starter feed is medicated for coccidiosis and should not be fed to chicks that have been vaccinated for coccidiosis.

Back
Top Bottom