When to allow breezes on chickens?

Those are wonderful big windows!

If you get crazy sideways rain coming in even with that HUGE overhang I am not sure how to stop it without at least closing up the bottom half of the windows.

Maybe a couple pieces could be put in tracks to slide up like a pop door but used to block the bottom half of the windows. Thinking with pulleys and rope it could be a quick trip to raise them when rain hits.
The windows are so necessary during out hot and humid summers. The last two summers were horrible,esp the one before last. Months of 100 plus days. We had a 10 day stretch of 107+ days. Poor chickens, but we managed to keep them all well, even if they were not happy. :(

My modification request this year will be closable windows in the smaller section to the north and east. One will have to be a door for access. I keep my husband busy, but he is a great sport.

That is a great suggestion. We thought of a rope and pulley function, but from the top down. There was two problems with that. It didn't give me the partial open/shut (top down) scenario that I desperately wanted and the wind would play havoc on the covers if they were pulled up. But coming up from below might solve both issues. I will speak to my husband - he is the engineer - I just make suggestions for him to figure out. Thanks for the idea.

Simple actually.

For adults: No direct breezes is about handling extreme cold. When it is reasonably warm (40s or 50s at night), it is fine to open up more windows. I always keep windows open away from the prevailing winds for ventilation.

Chicks should definitely need more protection. Early on, they will spend a lot of time under the hen. As they grow, they will start wandering around, but still need a safe, warm place to retreat to.
Thanks.

Your birds should tell you, give them the choice and follow that lead. If they are relaxed, it is working for them.
Thanks. I am planning to do a part cover/part open night to see how they respond. They tell me everything else they want, I am sure they will do the same with this. 🤣😆

The windows are so necessary during out hot and humid summers. The last two summers were horrible,esp the one before last. Months of 100 plus days. We had a 10 day stretch of 107+ days. Poor chickens, but we managed to keep them all well, even if they were not happy. :(

My modification request this year will be closable windows in the smaller section to the north and east. One will have to be a door for access. I keep my husband busy, but he is a great sport.

That is a great suggestion. We thought of a rope and pulley function, but from the top down. There was two problems with that. It didn't give me the partial open/shut (top down) scenario that I desperately wanted and the wind would play havoc on the covers if they were pulled up. But coming up from below might solve both issues. I will speak to my husband - he is the engineer - I just make suggestions for him to figure out. Thanks for the idea.

My thinking is the wall section below the windows is tall enough to "house" the pull up panels....at least large enough to cover the bottom halves of the windows.
Even 1/2" plywood with tracks made from 1x2 should work well....and can be painted to match or painted up with murals.

Back
Top Bottom