When to wrap the run

BladeFireLight

Chirping
10 Years
May 12, 2014
I live outside of Omaha and the local winters are all over the place when it comes to wrather
I was wondering when or based on what forecast determines when to wrap the run with plastic?

I live outside of Omaha and the local winters are all over the place when it comes to wrather
I was wondering when or based on what forecast determines when to wrap the run with plastic?
It partly depends on how much you intend to wrap it.

You can look at which side the most wind comes from, and cover just that side, at almost any time after the worst of the summer's heat is over for the year.

No matter when you wrap it, make sure you leave enough ventilation (maybe one entire side, or the top foot on all sides), so it does not heat up like a greenhouse and overheat your chickens.

In general, the goal is to block enough wind that the chickens can be comfortable, but not to make it actually warm. Chicken feathers are quite good at keeping them warm, as long as they are not blowing around in the wind or drenched with rain.

Sorry that's not a very precise answer. I don't know that particular part of the country well. But for many things about chicken keeping, as long as you avoid the worst extremes (like making the run into a greenhouse in mid-summer), the chickens will probably be fine. So choose a time that works for you, then keep an eye on the results. Remove some plastic if you see chickens panting and too hot, but consider adding more if you see their feathers blowing in the wind.

I wrap it when it starts to get too cold for me to be working on it without gloves on :lol: So I catch the last gloveless days to get it done before it gets so cold that I'm not gonna want to be out there doing it, usually sometime in November (and my fingers are still numb by the time I'm finished). That's when the big wind storms and snow storms start to pick up, too, and that's what the wrapping protects against. Before November, nothing we get is so bad that it would require wind blocks.

I have a question. Here in Central Illinois we're getting high winds up to 55mph and I'm a little concerned about the girls. Their run is plastic fencing electrified. It is also on the west side of the coop and a Morton building. Will they be ok or should I coop them up?

I have a question. Here in Central Illinois we're getting high winds up to 55mph and I'm a little concerned about the girls. Their run is plastic fencing electrified. It is also on the west side of the coop and a Morton building. Will they be ok or should I coop them up?

Adult, fully-feathered chickens are generally^ capable of deciding how much bad weather they want to tolerate as long as they have the option to be in the weather or out of it.

Giving them a larger area of better weather is why people wrap their runs. Even here in central NC I add a little extra windblocking for my Open Air coop during hurricane season and what passes for my winter. :)

^Chickens with non-standard feathers such as Silkies and Frizzles may need additional protection in some circumstances.

Adult, fully-feathered chickens are generally^ capable of deciding how much bad weather they want to tolerate as long as they have the option to be in the weather or out of it.

Giving them a larger area of better weather is why people wrap their runs. Even here in central NC I add a little extra windblocking for my Open Air coop during hurricane season and what passes for my winter. :)

^Chickens with non-standard feathers such as Silkies and Frizzles may need additional protection in some circumstances.
Thank you! They're Rocks and happen to actually like being out in the weather. It's beyond me but they do. Until I make them go in that is. Then they grumble and complain. They'd rather be in the rain than inside. Crazy!

Back
Top Bottom