Which would be best cross for Turken hen

Judykaymayes

Songster
Mar 2, 2023
I am wanting to find out which would be the best fit for my Turken hen ?I have silkie ,satin silkie and frizzle showgirl Silky roosters.
Judy Mayes

I am wanting to find out which would be the best fit for my Turken hen ?I have silkie ,satin silkie and frizzle showgirl Silky roosters.

Which rooster is best will depend on what you want. @sourland makes a very good point about temperament.

If you want chicks with frizzled feathers, use the frizzle rooster (about half of chicks will have frizzle feathers, the other half will be normal.)

You will not get chicks with silkied feathers from any of the roosters (because silkie feathering is recessive.)

Other traits usually found in Silkies will probably be passed on by any of the roosters (crested head, feathered feet, extra toes.)

The hen should give the naked neck gene to either half or all of her chicks, regardless of which rooster you mate her with. Chicks that inherit the naked neck gene from both parents (Turken hen, showgirl rooster) will have necks that are more naked than chicks that inherit it from just one parent.

Depending on what color the hen and the roosters are, you might get different colored chicks from different fathers, or you might not.

The one with the best temperament would be my choice. A lot depends on what you are trying to accomplish with the mating.
That's a good point and I'm kinda concerned my coop pen yard needs a rain proof top and the sides are open ,I don't want the rooster to get sick because he gets his feet wet ot some mud on them I wad told you can't let Silkies get wet.

Back
Top Bottom