Whiting True Blue Temperament

I love WTBs! I had one girl last year, (she passed away in September this past year) that was one of the sweetest hens that I’ve ever owned, her name was Ginger. She didn’t mind being pet or held and she laid beautiful bright blue eggs… I miss her so much 💔
I ordered some more WTB chicks this winter and from what I’ve seen so far some seem flighty while others are more docile. So I guess it comes down to their own individual personalities.

My Whiting True Blues are 8 weeks old today. Some will eat treats from my hand, but all will throw a fit if I try to pick them up. I do not spend much time with them, just some chores once or twice a day. They have feathered out to be pretty though. They love roosting on any little area they can find, so I need to get the roosts put into the coop.

I have 7 true blue whiting chicks, they're about 9 weeks old now. I was looking for a thread on their temperament because mine are absolutely wild. I've raised lots of chicks with my broody hens, which usually makes them a bit more flighty. My hen hatched these eggs too (I bought them and stuck them under her), but these chicks are so panicky it's annoying. If I go in to their coop when they're roosting they absolutely freak out and get everyone upset. They won't go outside of the run to free range with the big birds, and if they find themselves outside for some reason they will throw themselves against the fence trying to get back in. They're beautiful though, and they're the first set of chicks I've raised in the coop that immediately started roosting on the bars with the big chickens (instead of in a nesting box) once their mom left them. They do seem like they'd be good at evading predators (if they ever decide they want to free range). Hopefully they grow out of their shyness, because compared to all the other chicks I've raised, these ones are really nervous so far.

Mine are 10 weeks old and free range during the day. They don’t like me getting too close to them, unless I have treats. They aren’t the lowest in the pecking order, or the highest. They act a lot like the Dark Cornish really.

Back
Top Bottom