Wild mama and babies

You know the hen I mentioned? If we did any good for the remaining babies, it's scare them towards her. After trying to catch them, they sought her out and stayed with her for the evening. She doesn't seem interested in them, but she never attacks them and let's them tag along whenever they like. I wonder if she's mum or if she's just had babies before and is indifferent to them?
Shes a sweet girl either way. Poor girl kept getting harassed by drakes, but she's learned to escape into the bramble bushes and they leave her alone.

Anyway, I hope that they learn to stay close to her whenever they feel unsafe. It's better than nothing and they might learn a few things!
She didn't care when the brood was all there, or when the other ducklings left, but now the group is smaller she doesn't mind being around them. Perhaps they stand a chance, like the orphaned 3 week old who found safety in the juvenile hen.

I'm going to do one more thing though. Every time we have seen other birds trying to drown the ducklings, is when passers-by are throwing bread in. All the geese, swans, ducks go to it in a huge rush and the ducklings go too, gey caught in the middle, and then viciously attacked. It's hard for them to escape the chaos.

And so, I'm going to make posters warning people of this and asking them not to feed the birds in this particular area. I also put the number of the wildlife rescue at the bottom so that if they see any of the ducklings injured or in danger, they can call. Because the RSPCA won't let you through to a person and won't help injured wildlife anymore. Why? I have no idea. System sucks.

Anyway, if less people throw food in, less feeding frenzies happen and the ducklings are a tiny bit safer.
Does that sound like a good plan? I'm doing all in my power. I'd go back and try again today, but I know deep down I'm not going to be successful. It took more than 5 people, two massive nets and more than 2 hours to get 4. And it's harder now because they know what the nets are. If I go and keep trying, I'm only going to get more emotionally invested and more depressed over it. I think the posters are the last difference I can make.

But we've saved half. There's some peace in that.
You do what you can that is all you can do. Posters sound like a good idea at least your making others aware and maybe someone will take notice.Just thinking about these little ones and this is happening all over the world most likely, it's a miracle any of them survive. It's people like you that help some survive. :love
:hugs

🥳You do what you can that is all you can do. Posters sound like a good idea at least your making others aware and maybe someone will take notice.Just thinking about these little ones and this is happening all over the world most likely, it's a miracle any of them survive. It's people like you that help some survive. :love
:hugs
People are listening to the posters :yesss:
No one has been feeding them since, and the swans and geese have moved to the other parts of the lake!! This end is now much quieter for them.
We took them a big meal of proper food, to make up for all the bread we had to lure them with, and give them some key nutrients- and low and behold the mallard hen is with them and they are staying with her! Perhaps having less ducklings, less threats, and them suddenly wanting to be with her has shifted things and she's beginning to look out for them. Happy ending all round, hope at least some of them survive. 4 are safe and the remaining 5 have hope

That’s great news!! You did it you got people to listen. So sweet mama is staying with them now hopefully there is a good outcome from ALL of this!!sure sounds like it!!
I have a feeling its their mama and she was just overwhelmed by all the dangers and so many babies. I think now they're fewer and seeking her out, and now there's less threats, she's feeling okay taking them back. It's such a sweet ending to this disaster.

Back
Top Bottom