13 day old gosling died.

Sugar Sand Farm

Songster
12 Years
Apr 24, 2007
North Florida
When I went into check on my goslings this morning I notice one of the females (the smallest) wasn't acting right I picked her up and she felt cold I put her back in under the brooder light and finshed cleaning up the brooder. when I put fresh water in she came over to the water and dipped her peak into the water but did not drink then she went back over to lay under the light I just found her dead. Now I am concerned about my other 5 goslings . She wasn't sick yesterday and I haven't notice any odd poops (Its hard to tell as there so much.) I try to keep the brooder dry and clean so I change the bedding twice a day she may have gotten alittle wet on saturday as for some reason the bedding was very wet when I changed it but other than that she looked fat and sassy I was wondering if I should put vitamins in their water just to be sure. any ideas.

Many years ago I had a pair of geese who finally hatched two goslings. They both lived a short while and evetually died. I found out I was not feeding them the right grain. Still to this day I hate myself for it! I just had gone ahead and assumed instead of doing my research.

I am feeding them Dumor chick/starter feed its unmedicated.It has a 20% protein I also give them cut up romaine lettuce and some grass I cut up They are inside in a brooder with a light and plenty of water . I raised my other goslings on this food and did not have any problems. We can not get game bird starter here. We had to drive 70 miles to get this unmedicated feed It says its OK for chicks,ducks and geese. She was the smallest of 6 goslings but I never noticed if she was being picked on So far they all seem to get alone fine When I picked her up this morning she didn't run from me which is the usual and she felt very thin. I can not say that I noticed that she wasn't eating but I am wondering now that she felt so thin.

She may have just failed to thrive, which does happen and nothing you can do.
The others may have been keeping her from the food. If she was the smallest to begin with, then they were likely bullying her away from the food.
Much as I love my geese, I hate that bullying that they do.
I am sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom