are these cockerels?

It seems that there are 3 baby chicks, 2 red and 1 black, with slow feather growth. The other 4, 2 of each, seem to have a lot of feather growth in their wings and tails. Will continue to post updates as they develop.
IMG_1324.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1322.jpeg
    IMG_1322.jpeg
    698.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1323.jpeg
    IMG_1323.jpeg
    730.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1321.jpeg
    IMG_1321.jpeg
    677.6 KB · Views: 10
3 WEEK OLD UPDATE

Today I went outside to feed the hens and baby chicks and noticed that Billy, the baby chick with the orange head and slow feather growth in img_1322, has a single comb that is turning pink and has more noticeable growth than the other fast feather growth baby chicks' combs. The other 2 slow feather growth were moving too much and I was not able to get a good look at their rose combs and see if they are changing color or growing faster. The one with the dark rose comb is harder to tell. Will try to post a pic of them later on today.

For some strange reason it is not letting me upload pictures so these are screen shots, hopefully they are not too blurry. But of the 4 that I thought might be males, I went and narrowed it down to 3 because they have slower feather growth, but of those 3, we are thinking that the one perched on the tree might be a pullet. She resembles my White Orpington and that one took a long time to feather out fully. In the first picture you can see that Billy has a red single comb. In the second picture up top, Alan has what is starting to turn into a red rose comb. You can see the comb of the one that is perched on the tree in the first picture and s/he is still way behind in new feather growth, has those long fuzzy feathers. We still have not named 2 of the baby chicks, s/he is one of them. As is, we think we might have 2 cockerels and 5 pullets from the original batch. We added 3 more pullets a week ago.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-05-24 at 12.38.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-24 at 12.38.18 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
  • Screen Shot 2024-05-24 at 12.38.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-24 at 12.38.51 AM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 6
  • Screen Shot 2024-05-24 at 12.40.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-24 at 12.40.00 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 6
In the first picture you can see that Billy has a red single comb.
I assume Billy is the one with red feathers, near the center top of the picture?
That comb does say "cockerel" to me.

In the second picture up top, Alan has what is starting to turn into a red rose comb.
Alan being mostly black, with that rose comb, standing back by the edging instead of in the group with the rest?
Yes, that comb also makes me think male.

we are thinking that the one perched on the tree might be a pullet.
You can see the comb of the one that is perched on the tree in the first picture and s/he is still way behind in new feather growth, has those long fuzzy feathers.

Nothing about that one makes me think male at this time, but the chick is still young enough that I'm not positive. Some males take longer than others to show obvious combs & wattles.

I am looking at these and can't help think they are males. The coloring is lighter.
UPDATE- The 2 yellow chicks and the black chick are once again in the possible cockerel list. I am now of the opinion that these are sex linked; yellow for male and chipmunk for female. The other yellow baby chick with the black line on its head has a rose comb that is now changing color as well. Which now also brings me to question if Wilma, the all black pullet and Alan might actually be males as well since both are all black and then Ryann is a black and brown mixed color pullet. Well, I only have 3 more weeks to go, the cockerels crowed at 6 weeks so I am assuming these will too.

I assume Billy is the one with red feathers, near the center top of the picture?
That comb does say "cockerel" to me.

Alan being mostly black, with that rose comb, standing back by the edging instead of in the group with the rest?
Yes, that comb also makes me think male.

Nothing about that one makes me think male at this time, but the chick is still young enough that I'm not positive. Some males take longer than others to show obvious combs & wattles.
Yes, that is Billy, my nephew named it. My son named Wilson(later turned it to Wilma cuz it has fast feather growth), Alan and Ryan, the 3 black baby chicks after his favorite YouTubers,🤷‍♀️ LOL. The red baby chicks have still not been named, so I might need to name them. They did name the new additions really quick though. The barred rock is Moonlight because it looks like it has a moon on top of its head and the white leghorn is Snow White. The RIR is called Eagle because of its current coloring.

I had sprinkled some food on the floor to get them to come to me for the pic so Alan was running toward me in the pic. At first I thought he had gotten stung by a bee🤦‍♀️ but then realized it was his comb changing color😄😂

Really need to give those last two names, My dad calls the mother Ostrich, even though her name is Blanca, so I will refer to it as baby ostrich for now. Bo's mom has those soft fuzzy feathers even now, so I don't think they might ever fully go away. She also did take a long time to lay an egg, almost 8 months, but compared to my other hens, Blanca is 2x as tall and 2x as wide; she is my gentle giant.

Back
Top Bottom