calling any one from missouri

Maybe you can answer this for me.
we're starting to get ticks in the yard. I've been afraid to spray because i didn't know if it would hurt my frog friends. Any idea?
I'm not sure of what I'm about to tell you but I grew up on a farm between Fredericktown and Ironton. Ticks and chiggers were out of control. One of our neighbors a couple miles up a gravel road and another mile up a dirt track. I would sit in his yard hearing his yarns about his life adventures. We talked about annoying things like flies and ticks, etc. As a kid, I pondered what good they were, and he noted there were possibly good reasons for their existence, like fly larvae consuming dead tissue in wounds. Speaking of ticks, we discussed that his yard and adjacent property had no ticks even though there was no obvious reason for their absence with the close proximity to our farm which was always overrun with ticks.
He explained that the reason he had no ticks was due to his chickens. His numerous chickens always free ranged the entire property including all around his house and yard. He said they eat all that show up. He never sprayed.
Maybe you need more chickens.
Also... if that was a spotted salamandar,
How's come it didn't appear to have any spots?
That's where i was confused on the ID.

We have a bunch of those little blue tailed things i thought were lizards. But after going down the salamander rabbit hole I'm thinking they are skinks. I'll have to try and get a picture of one.
I think it may be due to it being a juvenile. To me, it doesn't resemble any other salamander species in the state.

Skinks are a very common species. Another species with a blue tail is the eastern fence lizard but a different body type from skinks.

I'm not sure of what I'm about to tell you but I grew up on a farm between Fredericktown and Ironton. Ticks and chiggers were out of control. One of our neighbors a couple miles up a gravel road and another mile up a dirt track. I would sit in his yard hearing his yarns about his life adventures. We talked about annoying things like flies and ticks, etc. As a kid, I pondered what good they were, and he noted there were possibly good reasons for their existence, like fly larvae consuming dead tissue in wounds. Speaking of ticks, we discussed that his yard and adjacent property had no ticks even though there was no obvious reason for their absence with the close proximity to our farm which was always overrun with ticks.
He explained that the reason he had no ticks was due to his chickens. His numerous chickens always free ranged the entire property including all around his house and yard. He said they eat all that show up. He never sprayed.
Maybe you need more chickens.

I think it may be due to it being a juvenile. To me, it doesn't resemble any other salamander species in the state.

Skinks are a very common species. Another species with a blue tail is the eastern fence lizard but a different body type from skinks.
Well i don't have chickens i have ducks lol.
They do free range the yard a few hours a day and eat all kinds of things...
Including my frog friends 🫣
But i don't think they are as good at eating the ticks as chickens are.

I do not need any more birds to take care of! 😐

Supposedly ducks eat ticks too! When it gets drier and hotter, there will be less ticks. The ticks also don't like shorter grass, we keep it very short where we walk....we're mowing all the time it seems.

You are right. I think guineas are good at it too but chickens are the bomb when it comes to ticks.

Supposedly ducks eat ticks too! When it gets drier and hotter, there will be less ticks. The ticks also don't like shorter grass, we keep it very short where we walk....we're mowing all the time it seems.
Yup!
The love ankle to knee lenght weeds. They hang onto them with their little claws out waiting for something to walk by whether that be a deer, a dog or me.

Back
Top Bottom