Happy Father's Day! -- or -- The Coop Dad Helped Me Build

RamonaRay

Chirping
Mar 23, 2018
As it's Father's Day, I thought it might be a good time to show what a great dad I have! I've long wanted to raise chickens as pets and as a bonus, collect their eggs. The time was right this spring to roll up my sleeves and wade into the water. I bought 10 one or two day old chicks at the local Farm and Home store - "one of these, one of those, oh, two of those yellow ones . . ." and thus it began. Baby chicks are so sweet and relatively easy to care for and contain, but then, dang! They grow so quickly!

This is where my dad comes in. We began building my coop and run on April 26th, 2018. He drove 60 miles roundtrip nearly every day to come and help me build this thing. We made countless trips to the box stores for lumber and supplies and we worked 8 to 10 hour days for 6 weeks to get it done. I think we took off about 9 or 10 days throughout the whole time -- Tuesday is his golf day, after all. Many of these days were HOT! Ugh -- Midwest soup! My dad was a county politician, not a carpenter, and we looked at soooo many of the coops on this site, hoping to find just the right one. But nah -- we ended up picking and choosing this look, that function, this aspect . . . I now find myself chuckling at the people who ask "do you have any blueprints / plans for this coop?" Now I get it! I wanted the same thing; looked high and low and got to the last page on the internet, but alas, there were few "real" blueprints for constructing a chicken coop. You do it as you go! You look at pictures of people who are kind enough to post pictures of their framing and try to apply it to your own structure.

Here is my own pictorial:

dayone.jpg

So sweet -- ten baby chicks -- all they need is a little food, a little water, a lot of sleep, and a heat lamp. That changes quickly! Must start building a coop!

Our inspiration coop from this site, by Coop De La Villes:

coop.jpg

A blank slate -- the backside of our garage:

before.jpg

First, you must figure out what you need -- I have ten chickens -- I need 40 square feet in a coop. I determined I'd go 5' x 8' to get that and then build my run off to the edge of the garage, giving plenty of room for roaming during the daylight hours. But the guys at Lowe's made a good argument for me to adjust my plans to a 4 x 8 to make everything easier as a building project since sheets of plywood come in 4 x 8. Now that I've lived with it awhile, I believe I'd go back to my original plan and maybe even go 6 x 8 -- it's awfully narrow in there. As the people here always say, "go as big as you can." It's sage advice. I honestly didn't think I'd still have ten chicks at the end of the project. I thought I might lose a couple - at least I didn't think it was out of the question.

The next thing you do is mark out where you need to bury your poles; start with a hole and measure from there. Dig, dig, dig; 22" - 24" is the right depth for poles in our frost zone. OMG - it was so hard! It took a full day to dig four holes between the two of us. There was so much rock and hard ground. I did wisen up a little later and put the hose to the soil; we didn't want mud, but it helped for us to dig out the rocks. Later, when we did the run poles we rented a gas auger. It helped but the water to the soil trick was the best help. Setting the poles was a huge deal really. Everything plays off that foundation - all measurements. You have to have them level up and down and to each other. Thank goodness for my dad on all this; he used to be a telephone pole lineman so he knew about making chalk lines, aligning the poles, leveling them with stakes and string, and finally setting them in Quickcrete. I assume there is a good Youtube video on the process but ours was already done by the time I even knew I needed to know how to do that. Thanks, Dad!

poleset.jpg

Okay next we built our base -- 4 x 8 remember -- the poles need to be set so that the corner of each edge is flush with the edges of a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood. And it needs to be level so you have to cut each of your poles height to level with one another.

dad.jpg

And please! If you're using a 40 year old Craftsman electric hand saw, just stop. Spring for $150 and get a proper table saw. You'll need it. You just can't get the cuts and angles you'll need throughout your project. My dad and I limped along for two weeks before I threw in the towel and bought an entry level compound miter saw. Game changer. You need two or three drills too. You'll see. One for a drill bit for pilot holes, one for the three inch star bit screws, and the other for the two inch star bit screws or the regular Phillips screw heads. Saves so much time.
Framed.jpg

And then we had walls! That was quick!
framedupside.jpg

And a roof form!

DadnMoll copy.jpg

Going well! Stop, smile for the camera but then keep moving! It's heating up out here and your chicks are growing!

ontopcage.jpg

Really? Meanwhile in the garage, the cage walls are just a suggestion to them that they stay contained. Chickens don't care!
growing.jpg

Ten chicks in a one foot square box - their choice - they had more room!

dad3.jpg
dad4.jpg

Add siding, paint, fascia board, and put your 74 year old dad on the roof to shingle! :oops: :bow
But hey, I did alot myself too! This wasn't easy!
roofing copy.jpg

blueprints.jpg

Keep going! Those chicks can't get in here until this thing is CLOSED up! Next up, nesting boxes; here are our "blueprints" -> printed pics off someone else's coop. In the end, you do what works for your set up.
insulating.jpg

And on the inside, 3 inch styrofoam insulation.
helper.jpg

When your help is free roaming . . . they're a constant reminder you need to keep pushing to get this done! Better yet -- do all this BEFORE you buy chicks! :old
shelves.jpg

I finally got it so they could move in to their new home. Had to coax them to come out of their tiny cabin I'd bought online; I'm sure this place seemed enormous to them. See the poop shelves? Yeah, they lasted one night. I came in the next morning and saw all that slop on those boards - some goo, some dried and I knew that was a shortcut that wasn't going to work. IMO, the only way to go is poop trays with sand or kitty litter. When dad showed up that morning, I told him we had a big job for that day. Undo the shelves we'd just put in and start building sturdy boxes to catch droppings from their roosts.

inside.jpg

There. MUCH better!
coopdone.jpg

And it's finished on a Friday night! But, I still have ten chickens; the coop is smaller than it should be for ten though they free roam during the day. And that's the problem. Their boundaries are growing ever larger. They're walking right through my fence, running around into the front yard, pooping everywhere - "please watch where you step," is an embarrassing thing to have to tell guests, so . . . no, the run can't wait. "See you Monday morning, Dad! We'll start the run!"

More hole digging, poles set; I have 15 feet from the chicken door to the end of the garage so I elect to make the run 14' x 7' AND I'll incorporate everything underneath the coop AND extend it on over to the other side by adding a "porch" to the people door side. In all, I've got 156 square foot of run.
saveme.jpg

But oh my gosh, will we EVER get this finished? It's so hot!
dad6.jpg

inspections.jpg

And our inspectors are relentless!:pop

And then, just like that -- it's contained! It's not finished; there's still some staining to do, the railing and banisters need to be set on the porch to give it a more finished look and I've called our landscaper to put in professional beds around the whole structure and up this right side of the house. Furthermore, when it's not 99* any longer -- like this fall -- Dad will come back to help me build a real roof over the run. I've got chicken wire over the top and hardware cloth everywhere below, secured by large head screws and washers. I've got double locks on both the run and the coop doors. It is a maximum security enclosure. No coons allowed! Or hawks, or fox, or opossum, or anything else that wants chicken dinner. :he

coopandrun.jpg
finishedfornow.jpg
coop2.jpg
side.jpg

I hope this post has been helpful for y'all. I know I so appreciated seeing hundreds and hundreds of coops and their insides on this site and have zealously read those stories for tidbits where they were given. If I have helped the community at all with this, I'm absolutely thrilled for it! :frowThanks for reading!

Last edited:
Nice post...and coop/run...and Dad!

I've called our landscaper to put in professional beds around the whole structure and up this right side of the house.
Before you landscape, add anti-dig aprons.

Good examples of apron installation, tho I'd not recommend 1/2" HC...go with 14ga 1x2 or 1x1, will hold up much longer and is easier to lay flat.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1110498/wire-around-coop#post_17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

Nice post...and coop/run...and Dad!

Before you landscape, add anti-dig aprons.

Good examples of apron installation, tho I'd not recommend 1/2" HC...go with 14ga 1x2 or 1x1, will hold up much longer and is easier to lay flat.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1110498/wire-around-coop#post_17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

HEY!! AART! I remember looking at your coop when I was looking at every coop on the site for ideas! You had so many great pictures and had painstakingly considered every aspect of your coop. When I just now looked at your page, I recognized the shed right away and remembered the picture of your daughter being stalked by flies :cool:. I recall that I had studied your page for some time one night a couple months back.

Anyway, thank you for that suggestion! I hadn't thought of that -- I know it's always advised to bury hardware cloth about foot down but after digging through all the rock we had at 6 inches on down for the post holes, my dad and I collectively shook our heads that we just weren't going to do it. I have fencing all around the yard where the run is and perhaps that's a false security blanket, but it sure seemed preferable to digging ALL that way around at the time -- hated thinking I was abdicating responsibility -- but we just couldn't physically do it! Your idea is brilliant though -- put the apron down under the new beds. I get it! We'll do that and I can finally sleep sound knowing I've done the most I really can do. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

the picture of your daughter being stalked by flies
:lol: Wasn't funny 'til later, but still is.

Your idea is brilliant though -- put the apron down under the new beds. I get it! We'll do that and I can finally sleep sound knowing I've done the most I really can do.
Not my idea, but it's good one so I pass it along frequently.
What size mesh you use for apron may determine the difficulty of 'gardening' in that area,
might be best not to plant over/in the apron, but beyond the apron(12-18" out from run walls). Unless you want to bury apron a good foot down.

Back
Top Bottom