Having roosters with small children and babies

You have years to enjoy this hobby and all of its' fascinating arms of the hobby. And this can be a hobby that you enjoy with your children for years to come, maybe all their lives too.

But a lot of people have had the whole hobby ruined by an attacking rooster, and generally speaking, inexperienced people do not pick up on the signals that he is becoming aggressive and the attack comes out of nowhere - this forum is filled with those posts.

You are going to have your hands full with your little ones, and accidents do happen, little kids are quick and so are roosters. Imagine being in the ER, getting your darlings face sewed up. Small children take the attack in the face, and roosters tend to attack children first.

I would wait for roosters until your youngest is about 4-6. Yes, you can raise chicks from your own flock, you just don't need to do it right now. Get some experience raising the birds up, harvesting birds, finding the breeds you like, testing out your coop and run for predators and seeing how many birds really fit in there peacefully.

My point is that there are lots of this hobby to try, don't need to do it all this year, grow into it.

Mrs K
Thank you for this wisdom! I appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom