Help! Day 14- Broken egg & yolky eggs under broody.

Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
Got home from work to find another hen slipped in the nest box with my broody and laid a soft shell egg. I think this egg must have gotten yolky and then pecked. I saw movement 2 days ago when I candled on day 12. It’s now on 14. I threw it in the incubator with other eggs (on day 6).

I *think* I saw movement, but can’t be certain. Haven’t candled yet. I can’t tell if the membrane is broken or not. What is the likelihood this can survive?

If there’s any chance, is there anything else I can do to help it? It’s in a NR 360 at 50% humidity. I’m not sure how well it’ll handle rotating. Should I put anything on the membrane or put it on something to limit rotating? I considered laying it on a soft cloth of some sort so it doesn’t hit the plastic, and then just roasting by hand when I’m not at work. Any thoughts on this idea?

I also have a Kubonix, but I have 12 more purchased eggs I need to put in there, like, yesterday.
IMG_8425.jpeg

I wiped the hen off as best I could, and tossed her in the dust pile to get dry as best as I could. I changed out the nest material and wiped the eggs, but some have yolk on them. Not a huge amount. Anything else I can do to clean them or should I just leave ‘em be?

Back
Top Bottom