I'm picking up my chicks today!!!!

Maryanne

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 29, 2007
N. Louisiana
jumpy.gif

I'm going to the feedstore this afternoon to buy my chicks. They have some cute ones. Some and black and white and some are red. I don't know what breed they are but maybe after I post pics of them some chicken expert here can help me figure that out?

We already have a chicken coop and I have their brooder all set up......a huge rubbermaid tub.

Here is the list of supplies I need to buy:
1. chicks!
2. chick food
3. red lightbulb
4. feeder
5. waterer
6. pine shavings

(we have sand that I can use as grit a little later)

Can you think of anything else I have to have right now?
(I realize I will need more/different stuff once they move out to the coop/run)

I'm getting 7 chicks.

Just wanted to introduce myself and voice my excitement!

I'll post pics tonight.

How exciting! It looks like your list is good. You can stick a thermometer in the brooder, too, if you want to, but you can usually tell if it's too warm or cold by whether your chicks run away from the heater or huddle underneath it. I don't plan to have a thermometer in my brooder, but some people like that extra reassurance that the temp is about right.

Can't wait to see your pictures!

smile.png

You add grit the minute you feed them anything other than the chick starter, like leafy greens, grass, etc. BUT, it should be fine grit, not large chunks. Parakeet grit or builders' coarse sand works well.

hi ,
I am about 25 days now with our chicks,I put a thermonter in and discovered the middle of the crate was 78 degrees, 80 degrees has been very comfortable.
mine out grew the tupperware in one week,
and now live in a big wire dog crate, they love the perch under the light.
they are now very social.
the wire crate was great training for going out in the pen yeaterday for an hour or so , temps in the 68 degree range.

the girls, a rhode, arucan and a silver wy, played so hard for two hours in the grass, then came in and passed out like tired toddlers. they are so cute!
i keep my shelites off with a squirt gun, and have been training leave it, it working

keep posting so we can enjoy the fun,

justine

Back
Top Bottom