Is this normal turkey behavior?

ItheIncubator

Chirping
Apr 12, 2024
So I haven't read any other accounts of this happening, and I'm wondering if it's normal or a red flag that we should cull this fella.

*Warning* The following may not be suitable for younger readers.

My husband will, from time to time, cull a rooster if we have too many & it is being too aggressive with the hens. Our fully grown male bronze turkey has now twice copulated with dead roosters. It's disturbing, and like I mentioned above, I am wondering if it's a normal turkey thing or not.

We a have one male (Fernando) and one female bronze turkey (Fern). We'd like for them to hatch little turkeys to sell or raise for butchering, but we're thinking of getting rid of Fernando. He also gets way too close, in your face if you're kneeling down. He has tried to jump on our dog multiple times, and then will chase her after she defends herself & walks away. This guy is ridiculous.

We're pregnant with our first child, and there's no telling what Fernando might do around children at play. I don't think he could actually hurt anything, but he's mighty disturbing. He seems to be in excessive need of showing dominance.

Fern might need a new mate. What do you think?

Last edited:
It's common if they kill a cockerel that doesn't run here...., it's a dominance tactic. If they are raised with other species they tend to think they are all the same species and are rivals in the pecking order.

I have had jakes I bought at 8 wks that were imprinted on people that attacked me.
I tend to invite aggressive birds to dinner.

Back
Top Bottom