Miscellaneous Meeps - Hatching my Dreams

Pics
So I don't know if Fizzy was homozygous or not for the blue egg gene. She does have a pea comb as do all but 1 of the 24 ish Fizzy chicks, so there's a good chance she will lay a green egg! Her mom lays a nice medium brown egg, so add the blue egg gene and she should lay a typical Easter Egger colored egg!
Not sure if my one EE is either as the last hatch I did produced all males.
I used red to tag the ones I knew hatched from the BR eggs, as any chicks that were barred or had a white dot on their head would be male and solids would be female. I didn't have any hatch with a dot or start out barred, but I have some males with splotchy barring that started showing up about 4 to 5 weeks old.
That makes sense... My first incubator attempt that was a complete fail, I had Marans hybrids, OE, and BCM all in together. That would have been a mess without leg banding.. all 3 types look identical at hatch except the barred boys head spot. The OEs had brownish heads last year but I don't think that's a gender or an BCM x EE reliable indicator.

I use hatching bags and leg bands now. So much easier...👍

Not sure if my one EE is either as the last hatch I did produced all males.

That makes sense... My first incubator attempt that was a complete fail, I had Marans hybrids, OE, and BCM all in together. That would have been a mess without leg banding.. all 3 types look identical at hatch except the barred boys head spot. The OEs had brownish heads last year but I don't think that's a gender or an BCM x EE reliable indicator.

I use hatching bags and leg bands now. So much easier...👍
All cockerels!?! Oof!

I've had mixed success with my hatching baskets to keep the eggs separate and then banding the chicks. I've had a few chicks jump fence, then some manage to get their bands off the first few days so I have some likely mis-banded and some without bands at all 🙄

All cockerels!?! Oof!

I've had mixed success with my hatching baskets to keep the eggs separate and then banding the chicks. I've had a few chicks jump fence, then some manage to get their bands off the first few days so I have some likely mis-banded and some without bands at all 🙄
Yes I really wanted some Olive Eggs or at least find out if she got blue egg gene. I'm almost skeptical to hatching any more from her if she's gonna throw all boys....🤣

Yes I really wanted some Olive Eggs or at least find out if she got blue egg gene. I'm almost skeptical to hatching any more from her if she's gonna throw all boys....🤣
Yeah, I'd be hesitant to hatch more from her too 🤣

I want some olive Eggers, I just need to get a Marans hen 🤔 or Welsumer.

I caught the growouts dust bathing yesterday, a fluffy pile of silkies plus a flower 🤣 they were having a great time.

20240601_082317.jpg

Every one is growing well, enjoying the sunshine and our last week's of respite from the heat.

Back
Top Bottom