Muscovy ducks

Keshiaandadam

Cooped Up
12 Years
Jun 2, 2007
I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about the breed? i am getting a Mating pair on Sunday they are about 2 years old and i was just wondering if its a good breed how often she will lay will she lay this time of year long long should it take her to get used to her new house so she does lay things like that anything you could tell me would be great thanks!

Muscovies are a very good breed, the males get to heavey to fly and the females usually won't, but If you are going to free range them right away I would clip one of her wings. she wouldn't fly far, but she could get into trouble.

They are considered a duck, but are from the goose family. She will lay all summer long and sometimes into the fall. They make excellent mother's and are very broody birds. You can put any kind of egg under them and they will hatch them. She will lay 1 a night, but being everything will be new she might not lay for a week or two.

They don't quack, they hiss and she will chirp when she is setting and peep to the babies. They are awsome to watch, because they are very affectionate. The male will greet her and her him. They will rub bills and necks and he will stay near her for protection while she is setting.

I have had muscovies for almost 10 years and I would miss them if they wern't here.

here is a pic of Max and Mrs. Muscovy, they now are the proud parents of 11, but I don't have a pic of them yet.

muscovies.jpg

Julie

I was wondering whats the best thing to have down for bedding in the coop so she will feel comfortable enough to lay eggs? someone told me hay because right now i have wood shavings but i want to know from someone who has had them 10 years thanks. Also will she lay if i put them in the same coop as the chickens?

I can't say she will lay in with the chickens. Mine does, she lays on the floor in one corner of the coop, but she was raised with chicken and they don't bother her. I rake up the grass after I mow the lawn and spread it in the corners of the coop. she will add feathers and make a nice big bowl shape nest. Hay is much better than wood shavings, but she will make a nest out of what she finds plus her feathers. don't be surprised if you have a lot of eggs in the nest and she don't set right away. Muscovies tend to eat a lot for about 2 days before they set. Then you might not see her leave the nest unless it's hot. Make sure that she has access to water and food 24 hours, they tend to cover their nest and eat late evening or very early morning.

Is you want to put a nesting box on the floor for her, make sure it's quite big and in a corner. then put hay or dried grass in it and wait, if you sneak in when it's starting to get dark and see her sleeping in it, she will more than likely use it for a nest.

Good luck and you can e-mail me if you have questions
[email protected]

Hi there!
I have scovies. They are great! THe males are friendly as puppies. The females are sweet and good setters. When they are not setting they are good layers. My scovy girl, Freckles has been broody for most of the year. SHe isn't sitting on anything, but she doesn't care! LOL

Muscovies are native to Brazil, South America. They are the only domestic duck not descended from the mallard. They were until recently considered a perching duck, but are now thought to be a member of the dabbling duck family.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscovy_Duck#DNA_sequencing

Many people think they are half duck/ half goose, but these wonderful creatures are all duck.

I have an imprinted rescued drake and I adore him. He loves to sit in my lap and he follows me everywhere.

I recommend them highly as great pets.

Wow is that a lavender muscovey?? lucky you...but it's kind of funny looking...in an ugly guinea kind of way!!! hehehe

There is a down side to Muscovies but only if you have geese... They tend to want to be the big boss around the geese and they will have fights and since I only have one gander I usually break up the fight. I don't want my gander hurt.

I am actually getting rid of all my muscovies. I just can't handle how many ducklings I am getting. I have exploded from a quad to dozens and I can't feed them all they are just TOO prolific for me. One hen can and could hatch out 3 nestings of babies and if you can't sell the ducklings you have hundreds before too long. Right now I have 5 or 6 hens and 2 drakes I am wanting to get rid of.

Plus I have two ducklings in the brooder...

go figure...

Arklady

Back
Top Bottom