My goose died and I don't know what went wrong

I've also read articles on the internet that assert that geese can, theoretically, be raised on pasture alone. Perhaps, under ideal circumstances including a variety of healthy pasture greens and adult geese, this may be true and appropriate (for at least some geese)...but as an experienced goose keeper, I view the assertion skeptically.

For one, growing young geese have high nutritional demands due to their extremely fast growth rate in the first 4-5 months, at least. They also need adequate niacin in that diet, and without actually supplementing it by using nutritional yeast or a comparable high-niacin source, a goose keeper risks deficiency and its adverse health effects.

I also raise my geese on pasture during the seasons when grass is growing, but always offer supplemental feed to ensure that their dietary needs are being met. If you decide to continue raising geese in the future, I hope you'll consider the different nutritional needs of geese at various life stages (goslings versus non-laying adults, for example) and tailor their diets accordingly. There really is questionable information on the internet - even at reputable sites - sometimes provided by "experts" whose advice should be taken with a grain of salt.

As others have mentioned, it's possible toxins or other factors may be at work, too, so a vet visit would be best for your remaining gosling, if it's an option. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Last edited:
Domestic waterfowl should be seen as no different than any other domestic pets. You feed them daily. They should not be expected to live on grass anymore than pet cats should be expected to survive on any birds and rodents they kill. Wild geese can and will fly away when they can't find enough food somewhere. Domestic geese cannot do that. They don't have the flying abilities or parents or a flock to follow.

Many of us who have taken care of birds and animals for a long time have our regrets . . . and it's sadly often impossible to forget our mistakes. 😥 But life goes on and we learn from everything we do or don't do.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your insight. I am absolutely gutted that I haven't been providing the proper care and I will make sure this doesn't happen again
I know the feeling, unfortunatly you fell victim to bad information, which many others including myself have, some of the worst advice I’ve ever been giving was from a supposed expert on geese, a reputable avian vet. Turned out he knew nothing about waterfowl care.
This site is excellent because there are so many knowledgeable poultry owners here, and misinformation usually gets weeded out fairly quickly from what I’ve seen. Metzer Farms has a lot of good information on their website too. Facebook I don’t recomend, there are knowledgeable people there, but quite a lot of people that repeat nonsense with a sense of authority too.

Many of us who have taken care of birds and animals for a long time have our regrets . . . and it's sadly often impossible to forget our mistakes. 😥 But life goes on and we learn from everything we do or don't do.
Yes. I had a chicken peep with a crossed beak and she starved to death. I thought she could access the food. Feathers cover a lot. It's been 2 years but I still take a good look to make sure gullet are bulging at night and empty in the morning.

I'm new to this site so I apologize if there are any errors.
I have never raised geese and I bought a pair of goslings back in June. I have been keeping them in my garage until they grew their feathers in and now they live in my fenced yard full time. I lock them up at night in a coop for safety but they have unlimited access to water and free grazing during the day. I was feeding them duckling feed until they were able to be outside full time and then I slowly weaned them off.
Last week I went to put them up for the night and found one goose wedged into a pile of branches stacked in my yard. I was able to pull him out but he was unable to stand or walk. I didn't see any injuries so I gave him water and carried him to the coop. The next morning he and his partner were both acting fine, walking and eating. Unfortunately a few hours later I found him dead. I am assuming the stress from being trapped was too much or maybe there were internal injuries but I am devastated.
The other goose did not seem to even notice his partner was gone but last night he seemed pretty lethargic and I had to carry him to his coop instead of him following me around like normal. This morning he stayed laying in the coop instead of immediately leaving to eat like he normally does. I am very concerned that there is something wrong with him and I am gonna have another dead goose. They seemed to be perfectly healthy until this incident but I'm disheartened and I don't want this to happen again. Is there something wrong with my care or does it sound like this was a freak accident? Does this sound like a depressed goose or some other health problem?
I had a girl that ate and looked fine at 2:30 and I found her dead at 4:30. The necropsy revealed heart failure which, she said, is common especially in hybrid domestic geese. They're not sure why. She said it may be that lack of flight may play into it.
So very sorry. It really hurts the heart. My male was devastated so I let him follow me around during chores but the mama and goslings have really cheered him up. I thought I would lose him too. Best of luck and condolescence.
Elizabeth

Back
Top Bottom