Need Electric Fencing Advice

I'm interested since it's not electric... but wondering if it's too good to be true.
Just a note on electric fencing. In order for Hot Wires to work well.... the ground needs to be a good conductor. Meaning,, it needs to be somewhat moist. If predator stands on green vegetation,, that will conduct the ground to hot wire shock... If predator is standing on drought parched ground,,, not much shock will occur.
Individuals that hotwire coops, usually run two wires not far apart. A climbing predator is likely to touch both wires at some point,,,, hence the shock gets administered.
For an airborne jumping predator,, once in the air,,, not likely to get shocked with the common setups for homeowners to purchase.

Aunt Angus

If you decide to go with the netting attached to wall,,, you may consider getting a length of 3 foot chain-link fence,,, and place on the ground at the netting location. Attach grounding lead to that chain-link fence,, and you will have an extra grounding mat. Regardless if ground is moist,, or dry.

Just a note on electric fencing. In order for Hot Wires to work well.... the ground needs to be a good conductor. Meaning,, it needs to be somewhat moist. If predator stands on green vegetation,, that will conduct the ground to hot wire shock... If predator is standing on drought parched ground,,, not much shock will occur.
Individuals that hotwire coops, usually run two wires not far apart. A climbing predator is likely to touch both wires at some point,,,, hence the shock gets administered.
For an airborne jumping predator,, once in the air,,, not likely to get shocked with the common setups for homeowners to purchase.

Aunt Angus

If you decide to go with the netting attached to wall,,, you may consider getting a length of 3 foot chain-link fence,,, and place on the ground at the netting location. Attach grounding lead to that chain-link fence,, and you will have an extra grounding mat. Regardless if ground is moist,, or dry.
Would chicken wire work to help "Ground" the voltage recipient attempting to get through the fence? Building materials right now are at near all time highs in price.

Would chicken wire work to help "Ground" the voltage recipient attempting to get through the fence? Building materials right now are at near all time highs in price.
Yes,,, Chicken wire will work just fine. It will not last very long. Will rust away, but you should get a few years use anyways. Consider getting used chain-link fence if possible. The fence is galvanized,, and will last very long time..
Some peeps search Craigs, or OfferUp for individuals selling fence they removed. Another possibility,,, would be a fencing company. They remove old fencing when they replace with new. They haul away,, and just recycle it for metal. You could negotiate a good deal from them I think. :idunno

I am so happy that the fox did not get any of your birds. I have been very fortunate that my Ducks have stayed safe for two years as neighbors not far from me have lost their Chickens and Ducks to raccoons. I have seen tracks from them as close as my front yard but have been very fortunate that they have not bothered any of my flock. Good Luck with whatever direction you decide to go.

Back
Top Bottom