Official BYC Poll: How Often Do You Clean Your Coop?

How often do you clean your coop?

• Every day

Votes: 282 15.5%
  • Twice or more per week

Votes: 132 7.3%
  • Once per week

Votes: 388 21.4%
  • Once per month

Votes: 224 12.3%
  • Twice per year

Votes: 233 12.8%
  • Once per year

Votes: 74 4.1%
  • Whenever it needs it

Votes: 454 25.0%
  • Never

Votes: 28 1.5%

• Total voters
Pics
I use the deep litter method. I have only cleaned my coop out once in almost 3 years because a chicken died in the bottom from unknown causes and bugs got in. I have cleaned the nesting boxes a couple more times than that when our buff goes broody on a mountain of eggs and cracks one, making a yucky mess. I just started a compost pile and I think I’ll use the litter in it for the nitrogen. It has a lot of poo in it now but is dry and no smell at all. When I researched this method I didn’t understand how it could possibly work because everyone is always talking about cleaning coops. It works so well and thank God because if I’m not busy I’m lazy!

My coop is 12 x 12 and was a shed converted into a coop, so it has a full door and I can walk right in. Also has chicken door leading to their outdoor pen. I usually have around 12 chickens. I use wood chips/shavings and only do a full clean out twice a year, late fall and early spring. During the winter I keep adding shavings using the deep litter method, I believe it’s called. During the summer I just clean out the area under their roosts about once a month, because that’s where 90% of the poop is. I use hay in their nesting boxes and replace as needed.

It's not a pleasant part of keeping chickens, but it's one we must all deal with regardless: poop. How often do you clean your coop out? Don't include pens in your answer, just your coop or coops. Do you find it easy or difficult to clean them out? What changes to your coop design or technique would you make to improve the process?

(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)
We deep clean our coop 2 xs per year, spring and before winter when we begin the deep bedding. Hubby simply opens the hatch where they brood and take out the visible droppings from their nightly roosting everyday, and adds a little more pine chips. In the spring, he does the same but we don't put in nearly as much pine bark. During spring and fall cleaning, we purge the entire bark, and spray the coop floor, walls and roosting bars with Elector PSP. We also clean out any old straw and "add needed soil and dirt in the pits they've dug. We add clean straw.

I try to scoop out the poop from the coop and run every day or at the very least every other day. I do a bedding change and a good wipe down/deep clean once a month.

It's not a pleasant part of keeping chickens, but it's one we must all deal with regardless: poop. How often do you clean your coop out? Don't include pens in your answer, just your coop or coops. Do you find it easy or difficult to clean them out? What changes to your coop design or technique would you make to improve the process?

(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)
I rake out 1 time a year in the coop, I do the deep litter methode & has worked great the last 2 years. I am in FL, I am sure that makes a difference, mostly sand here. The run barely needs anything as they scratch/rake it them selves. They free range too so factor that it.

I bought my coop pre-built & rough, from someone on FB. Only thing I would change is the type of wood so it would last longer(I did take out the floor boards, best decision ever). It was built with used pallet wood but the frame is very sturdy!! For the $160 it has done great so far but after 2yrs it is almost done... next year(after 3yrs) I will need to fix it... not a bad investment to start imo. I will just need to fix the outer, the frame is amazing!

I use the deep litter method. I have only cleaned my coop out once in almost 3 years because a chicken died in the bottom from unknown causes and bugs got in. I have cleaned the nesting boxes a couple more times than that when our buff goes broody on a mountain of eggs and cracks one, making a yucky mess. I just started a compost pile and I think I’ll use the litter in it for the nitrogen. It has a lot of poo in it now but is dry and no smell at all. When I researched this method I didn’t understand how it could possibly work because everyone is always talking about cleaning coops. It works so well and thank God because if I’m not busy I’m lazy!

I've switched from deep litter having built a new coop with zeolite poop boards. The poop bards are vastly superior. I scoop the poops every day or few. Takes mere minutes.
We have prolonged wet spells in our climate with hugh humidityand temperature. Deep litter while it worked, didn't always prove maintenance free. The poop boards are proving much nicer, cleaner and lower maintenance so far.

We have multiple 10 x 20 and 10 x 13 runs each with hen houses. We clean every other week or more if needed. We are fortunate to have sandy loam for soil and it works great for chickens and easy to keep clean and dry.

Back
Top Bottom