Please help...Screw found in hens xray!

Pics
Just drain the can of sauerkraut into a colander and give it a rinse, that will take a lot of the salt out if you are worried about it.

It would be good if the sauerkraut works. While yes, a bird may be able to live with a screw, staples, pieces of metal stuck in the gizzard, body, etc. Sounds well and good but over time the break down of the metal can and often does lead to heavy metal toxicity.
With poultry, this is called "Hardware Disease"
https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/2019/10/14/hardware-disease-in-backyard-chickens/

Thank you so much for your advice. All is appreciated! I lost my lil boy (bantam roo) May 2nd, when we took him in along with bossy because just a few days prior he was walking a lil oddly, then walking odd n slow. I checked him over, felt for anything abnormal with his bones, and only thing I could figure was I needed to remove the sheath from his spur as it w had gotten so long it was rubbing against his other foot/leg as he took each step, so we soaked him in Epsom salt to get it soft surrounding his spur (same process we always did 3 times prior), twist back n forth gently at the very base and if it comes off really easily (after the 1st couple times), then we blukote and wrap it. No problems what do ever. However, between then and the 2 days till very visit, he couldn't at all walk, barely stand for a few minutes like 2-3 minutes at as time! Still eating and drinking like a piggy, having poops and all Else was entirely normal. I still couldn't feel any reason why. Took him in with bossy and very couldn't feel anything either so did X-ray of him as well and he had a broken femur. I said oh thank goodness then it can be fixed and he'll be ok (he's the love of my life!!!) Vet said no Kathy, the break is way to high, he will have to be put down. I lost it then and there still can't deal today with this loss. Anyhow just a little add in on the hell we've been through me and my flock!
Now, I wake up to a7 well old chick this morning who can't hold her head up, can't stand but a couple seconds on her hocks. I started a new thread for that just before updating and replying to these others. Holy heck I can't take no more I'm emotionally dead!
I’m so sorry! I only lost one hen and I was heart sick I can’t imagine dealing with other sick or hurt chickens on top of it.

Just drain the can of sauerkraut into a colander and give it a rinse, that will take a lot of the salt out if you are worried about it.

It would be good if the sauerkraut works. While yes, a bird may be able to live with a screw, staples, pieces of metal stuck in the gizzard, body, etc. Sounds well and good but over time the break down of the metal can and often does lead to heavy metal toxicity.
With poultry, this is called "Hardware Disease"
https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/2019/10/14/hardware-disease-in-backyard-chickens/
Strangely, my hubby had been giving her this in the amount of just a lil swipe on her tongue every couple days and honestly I fully believe it is what has helped with the toxicity part!
I've read all the links provided and some I found on my own as well about hardware toxicity...Thank you so much!

Attachments

• 20240512_104746.jpg
    20240512_104746.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240512_104802.jpg
    20240512_104802.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240512_104813.jpg
    20240512_104813.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 8
Strangely, my hubby had been giving her this in the amount of just a lil swipe on her tongue every couple days and honestly I fully believe it is what has helped with the toxicity part!
I've read all the links provided and some I found on my own as well about hardware toxicity...Thank you so much!
Does hardware disease inhibit iodine intake? I'm not even sure how much iodine chickens might need.

Back
Top Bottom