Hi!

Thank you for your post, @Miss Lydia!

"Buffs" are Buff Orpington ducks... right?

I actually already thought to take some home (I really love their colours), but I now think Cayuga and Khaki Campbell ducks would just be better.

Oh yeah?
I was thinking Cayuga would be destructive, since they are bigger than Runners!

You reassure me! (Because I could not wait and have already posted an add online to get Cayuga ducks!!)

Oh my God...

That's just... so cute!

Does she lay a lot of eggs, or less than when she was younger...?

So... 2 Runners drakes for 15 girls...?

Are you not worried 15 females are just too many for them?
Since Indian Runner drakes are, apparently, particularly prone to prolapse... (I read about that some times ago!!)

I know Cayuga ducks are.

I don't want to have to cull my birds, and I won't kill the ones I keep, since they are pets... but the young drakes, if I can not give them away...? I would not have the choice. (I would eat them. Hoping their meat would be worth it at least!)
(I feel so bad... but sadly, life is becoming much too hard and costly...)

So... I am going to assume these breeds are easy to educate!

Thanks God...!

Your ONLY flyers are Myscovy ducks?!

Wow... I would have thought they were your only ducks that could absolutely NOT fly, so heavy they are...!

(I know Indian Runners CAN fly, since I own a drake that have learned... and I also read about some Cayuga flying...)
I agree, the person I got my Indian Runners from as ducklings told me his whole flock of them could fly and fly well. That is what led me to pinion them as soon as I brought them home. That way I don't have to clip them or worry about them flying over the fenced in yard where I let them graze supervised and have the neighbors Pitt bulls eat them. Good luck with your decision.

I agree, the person I got my Indian Runners from as ducklings told me his whole flock of them could fly and fly well. That is what led me to pinion them as soon as I brought them home. That way I don't have to clip them or worry about them flying over the fenced in yard where I let them graze supervised and have the neighbors Pitt bulls eat them.

Hi!

That's funny you say that just after one of my Runner drake flew over the separation to go mate with his girls... (again)
This
one have learned well...! And he flies high!

If only one Indian Runner flies, there is no risk of him fleeing, since he will be much too afraid to be separated from his friends to not return home eventually...
...But if all the group do know how to fly? Not sure they will get back...!

Preventing them to fly is a kindness, since at least, they won't risk to end up lost, and they also won't be eaten by some neighbours' dogs... indeed!

(I was so shocked when I first saw my drake outside of my yard, after he was blown away by the wind... Poor boy was panicked...!!)

Good luck with your decision.

Thank you!!

...Thank you also for telling about your Runners!!

Hi!

That's funny you say that just after one of my Runner drake flew over the separation to go mate with his girls... (again)
This
one have learned well...! And he flies high!

If only one Indian Runner flies, there is no risk of him fleeing, since he will be much too afraid to be separated from his friends to not return home eventually...
...But if all the group do know how to fly? Not sure they will get back...!

Preventing them to fly is a kindness, since at least, they won't risk to end up lost, and they also won't be eaten by some neighbours' dogs... indeed!

(I was so shocked when I first saw my drake outside of my yard, after he was blown away by the wind... Poor boy was panicked...!!)

Thank you!!

...Thank you also for telling about your Runners!!
You are most welcome as so many people think they cannot fly and wondered why I had to pinion mine as ducklings. I hope yours stay put. I have sold my Mallard ducklings before and when they were about 5 weeks old and some of the people that bought them had them fly off. I bought my two I got from Metzer's that laid eggs and they were supposed to pinion them but they forgot to do it. I did not know how to at the time and didn't realize until one of mine flew out of the grazing area that they were not done. I had to clip them for a couple of years and now they stay put with the rest of the flock. My Call Ducks I got recently from Metzer's were clipped by my request and I was glad that they did it so that I would not lose them. Good luck with your ducks.

Back
Top Bottom