*DEBUNKED* Toxic Levels of Lead in Black Rubber Feed Bowl Water, 30 mg/L, 2000 Times EPA Limits

Recycled rubber from car tyres is toxic.
It contains a lots of pax’s. They use it to make rubber tiles in playground and a granulate is used in artificial grass fields for sports like soccer ⚽️. They tested the granulate with fish in an aquarium. The fish died and there was a big discussion to forbid the reused car tyre granulate. Especially on fields were children play sports. Many municipalities use cork or something else now because its not safe. Our national gov. did not forbid the use because there was not enough proof that it was dangerous for people.

It has been shown that harmful substances such as cobalt, zinc and mineral oil leak from the rubber granules and end up in the environment. For example, in 2018, after research in ten fields, the RIVM pointed out that rubber granulate can lead to soil and surface water pollution.source:https://eenvandaag.avrotros.nl/amp/...met-aanleg-kunstgrasvelden-met-rubberkorrels/

I don’t even know if they sell these recycled black rubber bowls in my country. But new yellow/red coloured products from china are sold here. They often contain way too much lead.

I was alerted about this from another YouTube video where he mentioned a family with back yard chickens who were tested with high amounts of lead in their blood. The culprit was lead leaching from those black rubber feed bowls, then being passed thru the eggs into the family.
I tested one of my bowls which was empty in my coop until it rained today and it caught about an inch of water.
The video is linked here.
I used standard well water test strips and got a reading of 30 mg/L. Per the EPA the Alert Level is 0.015 mg/L.
My results were 2000 Times the EPA Limit.
I encourage you to do your own testing and report the results. I would also encourage you not to use these bowls for watering any of your animals.
Please share this info, and I can't believe these items are being sold almost everywhere.
Thank you a ton for posting!!! I will take the rubber bowl out of my goat pen asap!

TESTING UPDATE:
Firstly, I want to thank you all for the suggestions on retesting the water.
I have started that process and wanted to give you some update.
A full video will be on my youtube channel probably sometime tomorrow.

Before testing I vigorously rinsed out the water bowl with a garden hose.
I did not scrub it with anything, only used water pressure to clean it.

I then drew water out of my well water storage tank into a clean mason jar and into the Rubber feed bowl. This was at 1:30pm.

I tested both using the same open pack of strips I used on the original test.
Both showed lead present. I tested the tap water in the house, which is on Public Water, and that also showed lead.

At this point I opened a fresh pack of test strips and tested again. The tap water came back at 0.
I went back outside and tested the Mason jar and Rubber feed bowl, and they also came back as 0 lead present.

The water test strips come in foil sealed packs of 20. I opened the first pack in January and even tho they were sealed in the outer container, the open package of strips apparently were no longer good and did give false information.

Even tho the results from my initial video and testing were just proven invalid, I continued to test.
After about 90 minutes, I began to see 'non-zero' results in the Rubber feed bucket.

My latest results, taken 2.5 hours after adding water to the bucket showed 15mg/L.
The water in the mason jar is being tested at the same time, and it still shows 0.

Due to pending rain, I've moved everything into the garage so I can continue to test every couple of hours.

I am documenting this all on video, and will post the full retest video after the water has sat in the Rubber feed bowl for about 24 hours.

my Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/@TwoAcreHomestead/

TESTING UPDATE:
Firstly, I want to thank you all for the suggestions on retesting the water.
I have started that process and wanted to give you some update.
A full video will be on my youtube channel probably sometime tomorrow.

Before testing I vigorously rinsed out the water bowl with a garden hose.
I did not scrub it with anything, only used water pressure to clean it.

I then drew water out of my well water storage tank into a clean mason jar and into the Rubber feed bowl. This was at 1:30pm.

I tested both using the same open pack of strips I used on the original test.
Both showed lead present. I tested the tap water in the house, which is on Public Water, and that also showed lead.

At this point I opened a fresh pack of test strips and tested again. The tap water came back at 0.
I went back outside and tested the Mason jar and Rubber feed bowl, and they also came back as 0 lead present.

The water test strips come in foil sealed packs of 20. I opened the first pack in January and even tho they were sealed in the outer container, the open package of strips apparently were no longer good and did give false information.

Even tho the results from my initial video and testing were just proven invalid, I continued to test.
After about 90 minutes, I began to see 'non-zero' results in the Rubber feed bucket.

My latest results, taken 2.5 hours after adding water to the bucket showed 15mg/L.
The water in the mason jar is being tested at the same time, and it still shows 0.

Due to pending rain, I've moved everything into the garage so I can continue to test every couple of hours.

I am documenting this all on video, and will post the full retest video after the water has sat in the Rubber feed bowl for about 24 hours.

my Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/@TwoAcreHomestead/
Wow, thanks for re-testing and being diligent with the results. Will watch your full video when it comes out.

Does the package say anything about them going bad after being open for a certain length of time and/or storage conditions?
Maybe ontact them about this concern.
IMO that makes all those tests suspect.

6PM TESTING UPDATE: Unable to confirm lead content.

I've spent most of this Saturday attempting to confirm or deny the results in this video. In my last test at 6pm, (5 hours) under bright lighting and checking the test strip thru the camera instead of with my naked eyes, I got a ZERO reading on both the control and the water in the bowl.
It does not seem possible that any lead that was in the bucket would have dissipated, so I have to assume my prior positive results were a result of 'old eyes', or an issue with the test strips. I'm leaning towards blaming my poor vision.
I do still think that using recycled rubber feed bowls presents a potential risk, but I can no longer stand by my previous statements confirming there is or was any lead content in the bowl that I was testing.

ps: My bowl is Fortex Brand from Tractor Supply

The culprit was lead leaching from black rubber feed bowls.

You said the bowl was under the coop and the rain that got into it must have run off the roof into a bowl that had been sitting under there for quite a while.

You admitted 'it was hardly Scientific,' so there's that mea culpa. Given this effort you went through to confirm this Black Rubber Bowl Proposition, a more rigorous process would have been expected.

How about washing your old bowl out with whatever drinking water you have regular access to. Getting a new, fresh Black Rubber Bowl and washing it out with whatever drinking water you have regular access to. Let these dry out and get yourself a couple of large glass measuring cups and a gallon of distilled water.

You might want to wait until the next rain to collect a sample of rain water. Then fill each of your subject containers with X ounces of distilled water, then add as many ounces of rain water to a clean glass container and as many ounces of your drinking water to yet another clean glass container.

Put a test strip into each container for S seconds and record the results - you might first mark each strip left to right (a,b,c,d, etc.) so that you might ask another to 'read' your strips and tell you what they find - without any idea of whence the strips cometh, of course.

It would be irresponsible to post erroneous information, no?

You should edit your first post in big text to reflect this,
saying also to read the whole thread before panicking.
It won't let me edit the title, but I will put something on the first post.
Just tried to edit the first post, won't let me do that either.
I will report my own post so that the title can be edited.
FYI: I would still encourage people to test their own watering system, using a better product than what I purchased off of Amazon.
--
The video title has been edited to point people to comment #47 where I issued my correction.
I have also self reported my post.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom