3 brooders, 15 pullets & 2 cockerels... can't we all just get along?

KellyJ74

Chirping
Sep 10, 2022
El Paso, TX
I've currently got 2, 46 inch, round plastic pools set up as brooders. I also have a critter nation cage being used for a "quarantine" brooder as one of the younger chicks has wry neck that I'm treating. The ages of the chicks range from 2 weeks old to, I'm guessing, almost 5 weeks old. The two cockerels are in separate brooders with pullets their same age.
Since the brooders are in the house, and on wood floors, I let them out to run amuck for a while each day. I'd prefer to bring them outside to run around, but we've got a family of hawks that frequent our backyard. I've noticed the older chicks will bully and chase the younger ones.
I'm curious, If I were to put the older chicks in the coop now, would I need to do a "Look but don't touch area when I introduce the little ones to the older ones?
When the chicks are all out, the cockerels will square up and have a mini battle Royale, and the speckled sussex cockerel chases the little ones around the room. Also, how many 4 to 5 week old chicks (black sex link and speckled sussex) would be comfortable in a 46inch round pen?
TIA☺️

I'm curious, If I were to put the older chicks in the coop now, would I need to do a "Look but don't touch area when I introduce the little ones to the older ones?
Chicks are more accepting of other chicks so it shouldn't be as bad as introducing chicks to adults, or adults to adults, but it wouldn't hurt for there to be a fence for the first day or two of introduction, and you may want to supervise them during their first face to face interactions. Clutter up the area so the little ones have some options if they want to run away.
Also, how many 4 to 5 week old chicks (black sex link and speckled sussex) would be comfortable in a 46inch round pen?
The pools are about 12 sq ft so max 12 birds at that age, though you need to subtract out any floor space that's used up by feeders, waterers, etc.

Chicks are more accepting of other chicks so it shouldn't be as bad as introducing chicks to adults, or adults to adults, but it wouldn't hurt for there to be a fence for the first day or two of introduction, and you may want to supervise them during their first face to face interactions. Clutter up the area so the little ones have some options if they want to run away.

The pools are about 12 sq ft so max 12 birds at that age, though you need to subtract out any floor space that's used up by feeders, waterers, etc.
Thank you so much! There's 8, 6 week olds in the brooder.

I brood in my coop so then I open up the brooder when the chicks are around 4 weeks old or so..... so this time around I had some 18 week olds in the coop when I opened the brooder (they have a small escape door so they can run back in if they need to etc.) but the 18 week olds chase the younger ones all the time. They may peck them but there has been no injuries or anything that would say is bullying. It is normal I think for them to chase them. more deciding pecking order etc. And I have 3 known cockerels in my group of chicks, they are 8 weeks old now, and they always square off with each other and have since they were tiny. LOL but again they don't fight just square off and "battle" but not to cause injury at this age.

but follow @rosemarythyme since she 100% knows what she is talking about!

Back
Top Bottom