Auto watering with Well water with heavy iron deposits and other sediments.

bald Rooster

Songster
Oct 18, 2016
Orlando area
I have been in need of a auto watering system for some time as I have quite a few fowl.
I bought a pack of cups and then some nipple waters but knowing my water I never tried them because I new it would never work.
Well I toyed with a idea for at least six months and this is what I came up with. I took a ten foot piece of 4 inc pvc pipe and put a 90 on it and then reduced that end to 3/4.(Facing up) The other end I did the same thing except I angled it away from the wall ( not strait down) and put a removable screw piece there so I can drain and wash it out. I then cut holes in the top of the pipe about 3inc across and about 2 inc wide . I used a level and screwed this pipe right to a wall. Screws went right into the plastic .I did not strip any so none leak.The supply is hooked right to my water system and I have a plastic 3/4 inc valve to turn the water on. I leave the water on were it is dripping into the system. There are several Advantages to this system.
The chickens have constant fresh water. If something happens to well or system the pipe holds several gallons of water. Weekly I can open the drain and flush system. My chickens started drinking out of this while I was trying to install it. I will try to take some pictures Tomorrow if I think about it.

This is working better then I expected. It does get some dirt in it. But I new I would have to flush it from time to time,so the drain on the end was a good idea. I live in orlando so freezing is not a problem for me.
Waterer .jpg

Back
Top Bottom