Automatic Coop Door - What do you like?

Kel80537

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2024
Hello! We are building a new coop and want to add an automatic door. Unfortunately, there are SO many products out there that we are having a hard time knowing which will be best. We don't necessarily need a bunch of bells and whistles, but we do need:
1. Timer
2. Battery (with solar is a bonus)
3. Safety sensor

If you have a door you love, would you mind sharing the brand & model along with what you like/don't like about it?

TIA!
:)

There's a few threads about automatic doors both generally and/or by brand if you search the brand you're considering.

Here's a thread with a bunch of replies on it.

Our automatic doors are my hubby and I. We opted not to get one, although sure would be handy in inclement weather not to have to run out there in the rain or snow!!

Thanks @Debbie292d!

One other note for anyone who wishes to reply. I should have noted that the door will open to a covered run on the north side of the house. It will very likely not get enough light to operate a light sensor accurately.

Thanks @Debbie292d!

One other note for anyone who wishes to reply. I should have noted that the door will open to a covered run on the north side of the house. It will very likely not get enough light to operate a light sensor accurately.
Most I've heard of have manual settings you can use, such as open at 6:00 a.m., close at 8:00 p.m. Those have to be adjusted occasionally though, and especially at Daylight Savings times.

I use a standard Chicken Guard, timer only as I worry about gloom affecting the opening and closing of it (especially since I have it installed inside, not outside). I think you can get them with solar and timer, but not sure. But it does not have any sort of safety sensor (which I assume would tell you a bird is in the way?)

Thanks! I definitely want the safety sensor. I was shopping on Amazon (almost always creates more confusion from too many products), and I read multiple reviews where birds were crushed or decapitated. I can’t even imagine…

Has anyone used the Pullet-shut door? That one is interesting to me. It doesn’t have the safety sensor, but I’m wondering if it isn’t safer simply due to the way the door opens/closes. If you have one, or if you have used one, please let me know what you think about it. TIA!

https://chickendoors.com/

Back
Top Bottom