Baby robin

If it happens, I will definitely post pics!
lol.png
Was bad enuff I missed the photo opp yesterday with my chickie chasin the squirrel....I wanted to run in the house and get the camera but was doubled over with laughter....

Well, this is how the rescue attempt went this mornin....pooooor hubby.

He climbed the tree, while I wrapped her in a paper towel to keep her quiet and calm. She was quite the strong lil thing. So I hear this whistling...hubby was up the tree and waiting on me.... but by now its about 7 am, so quite light out.

Well, ANOTHER one flew out...sigh...we scared her putting the original youngun back in there. But, the original youngun was VERY happy to be back in. I was afraid she would fly as soon as he let her go in a panic.

So, I caught the OTHER lil one, and this one is probably in trouble from the get go. She is very weak, about 3 days behind the other. (There was one other in the nest that didnt hop out, so momma had three to begin with). Momma is obviously young, is having a terrible time finding worms (I have watched her, she is cute, spread her wings out everytime she goes after a worm and sorta DIVES at it. I watched her for an hour this mornin and she only got ONE worm that whole time. I took pity on her and got the hose out and even tho our grass needs mowing big time, soaked the ground thoroughly so hopefully she can find some.

Hubby dug me up some worms for this lil one, but she wont take them, and keeps wanting to hop out since its daylight. Well...phoeeey! I just dont know what to do, even if we put her back, I dont think momma is good enuff to support the three. I DO feel better bout getting the other one in. So it CAN be done...

so then what happened?
I hope you got the second one back in.
The mother IS going to give it the best chance to survive.

Once again GL on it, hope things go well
smile.png

well, I hate to say what happened then. Poor hubby must have climbed that tree 15 times. They must have thot the nest no longer safe? I dont know. He would put them in, they would stay for maybe like 15 minutes? We would go in the house even...and then I would watch out the window and here would come another one fluttering down.

They are all gone as of this morning I do believe, but we kept having super wind gusts again of like 50 mph so I really dont think its all our fault. Their are trees and tree branches blown down everywhere, so I dont think its just our robin. Momma never abandoned them tho, she was around the whole time scolding.

It was so sad, the smallest one was so cute, barely could fly, I think the one must have known I was gonna help it, I kept getting a small branch for it to perch on, it would climb back up to the nest, then for pity sake, there it would come back to the porch calling for me to "Helllpppp". I finally had to leave for the day and when I came home none of them were around but mom.
hit.gif
:

Its always difficult in a situation like that.
You did all you could.
smile.png

Don't know if you will see this. I'm late coming to this post. But it is quite possible that all of the babies "fledged". There is about a three day period when baby birds are on the ground. They flutter fly out of the nest and land on the ground. As you said, they can't fly UP to get back in it. But the mother and father will go to great extremes to care for them and to ward off potential predators. It is amazing to me that ANY of them make it to adulthood, but they do. So let's believe for the best for yours. And may God bless your dh for all those trips up that tree!!

Well, thanks for that. I didnt know that, but was wondering, becuz I could have sworn I seen that momma with one chirruping at her in the grass the next day. They were chirping up a storm. But the wind WAS really awful that day too, so they might have "fledged" a day or so earlier than originally intended. I DO think one might have made it..maybe two. I saw one up around the nest today and a blackbird chased it off, but it was either momma or one of the babies, just hanging out for a minute there.
Poor hubby. I shall never tell him that, that he climbed that tree and got all scraped up umpteen times for a 'fledgling'.
lol.png

I got a lil attached to the smallest one of the lot, she was a fiesty lil thing that kept trying to bite me, when the other two just tried to fly or hop away. I sure hope she is the one that made it.
lol.png

Wow, just read through this thread, you and your DH are angels!
It seems nature may have been kind and the little ones may have fledged at the right time.
Hoping for the best, and thanks for posting the story!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom