Best Chicken Breeds to Breed for Selling?

Well that is an... interesting breed. I have never heard of them but now I have got to look into them. Good choice!
They are a beautiful Japanese breed. Their bodies are about the size of a Legbar, about 4lbs, but the tails of the rosters can reach up to 27ft long. They are best raised in warm climates like Texas, where I live. They need a place to stay with minimum risk of their tail being damaged. They are expensive to buy, even as chicks, but that is because they are so rare.

Here is a painting I made of a white Onagadori.
20240425_202802.jpg

The Onagadori. I found a breeder with good quality Onagadoris. The only thing different about theirs is that they haven't reached 27ft long tails yet. Theirs have reached 7ft. I want to work on improving them by breeding the rooster with the longest tail.

At one point I had thought Ayam Cemanis but they have been over bred in my opinion. Now I see everyone selling them.
True Onagadori or Phoenix? I wasnt aware that true ones were in the US. Of course satsumadori got here a couple years too late for me. Also the India parrot beak asil is here

Yeah through in and line breeding that breeder knows what theyre doing to keep deformities at bay. Not so much when someone buys a few off of them and starts their own breeding. In my experience one of the firsts signs are crooked tails when the breeding gets a lil tight
Small size and poor toe circulation were mine

They are a beautiful Japanese breed. Their bodies are about the size of a Legbar, about 4lbs, but the tails of the rosters can reach up to 27ft long. They are best raised in warm climates like Texas, where I live. They need a place to stay with minimum risk of their tail being damaged. They are expensive to buy, even as chicks, but that is because they are so rare.

Here is a painting I made of a white Onagadori.
View attachment 3834959
Definitely a beautiful breed! How would you house them? They probably can’t be free ranged well so a really large run is what will be used right?

Definitely a beautiful breed! How would you house them? They probably can’t be free ranged well so a really large run is what will be used right?
Exactly. And they will have perches high enough off the ground to prevent their tail feathers from resting on the ground and getting disgusting. They will have a wooden floor in their sleeping space to keep their living area as clean as possible. The only time I would even think about free ranging them would be in the winter when the ground is too cold to be muddy and the chickens are not breeding. Then when it starts to warm up I would put them back in their pens.

I am working on having an acre of land dedicated to chickens and have the whole area fenced in and predator proofed. It will be doubled fenced, chicken wire on one layer and dog fence on the other. They will have many shelters, water sources, and places to perch and explore.

Back
Top Bottom