Coffee ground bedding where to buy

I haven't found any drawbacks to it. It helps minimize smell and you can scoop out the poop very easily with a kitty litter scoop. I scoop out the coop once a day and it takes me probably 10 minutes. It's also a good way to "recycle" the coffee grounds, if you're into that kind of thing. I've never bought any, though. I just dry my own grounds and use that.
What is your process for drying it? I would have access to a bunch of used coffee grounds if I wanted but is drying it labor intensive?

I've used the rural king brand coffee ground bedding since I started my coop. I am very happy with it. However, it seems like its completely out of stock everywhere right now. I even messaged the company Grounds Power by Coffee to see if they still make it but I never got a response. Does anyone know what might be going on with this product? I don't see a similar product anywhere when I look online. Product link below:
https://powerbycoffee.com/
Is it just dried coffee grounds??

I would have access to a bunch of used coffee grounds if I wanted but is drying it labor intensive?
Yes. It is VERY labor intensive. I got a bunch of used coffee grounds from Starbucks and spend days drying it in the blazing sun on my deck. Got to the point it appeared dry so I put it into an old kitty litter bucket. When I went to replenish the boards, the bucket had a huge amount of condensate on the lid and the grounds had already started to mold.
The only way to ensure it is truly dry is to bake it in an oven or put it in a dehydrator. Both are energy intensive and not worth the mess and time IMO.
Is it just dried coffee grounds??
Dried USED grounds. So the caffeine is in a much lower quantity.

The only time I would use caution with the grounds is around chicks that have not been raised by a broody hen and taught that the grounds are not food and they should not eat it.

What is the advantage of using dried coffee grounds for bedding, compared to other types of bedding (wood chips, straw, etc) ?
Why not get a load of wood chips, a load of coffee grounds from Starbucks or wherever, compost them together and use that?

What is the advantage of using dried coffee grounds for bedding, compared to other types of bedding (wood chips, straw, etc) ?
Why not get a load of wood chips, a load of coffee grounds from Starbucks or wherever, compost them together and use that?
I would not used any composted material for bedding as bedding needs to be dry and compost is, by necessity, damp.

Yes. It is VERY labor intensive. I got a bunch of used coffee grounds from Starbucks and spend days drying it in the blazing sun on my deck. Got to the point it appeared dry so I put it into an old kitty litter bucket. When I went to replenish the boards, the bucket had a huge amount of condensate on the lid and the grounds had already started to mold.
The only way to ensure it is truly dry is to bake it in an oven or put it in a dehydrator. Both are energy intensive and not worth the mess and time IMO.

Dried USED grounds. So the caffeine is in a much lower quantity.

The only time I would use caution with the grounds is around chicks that have not been raised by a broody hen and taught that the grounds are not food and they should not eat it.
Well with it being summer now I try not to turn on my oven if possible so I guess I’ll be skipping this. I would love to have had two of my favorite things mingled together, coffee and chickens!

Back
Top Bottom