Droopy off-colored comb?

distincthead

Chirping
13 Years
Apr 24, 2007
Boone, NC
Hi again,

I have a bird that we assumed had coccidiosis and we have had the whole flock on amprol for about 9 days now. Well, this bird hasn't gotten better at all in my opinion. Her latest issue is the comb. It's getting floppy like they do when they are dehydrated, it's not as red anymore either... more purple in nature. It's all I can do to keep it's rear end clean from the runny poop. I have been keeping an eye on her and her body doesn't seem very dehydrated. She's slower and more spacey than the others and is often seen on her own or 'last in line' as it were.

This is exactly what happened to the other one that ended up dying. When the other one finally died the crop was impacted and she was very dehydrated.

I'm thinking Vet again, but while that's in order are there any opinions here?

Thanks!
sad.png

What you are discribing could be symptoms of many other viruses also. Drooping comb that is turning purple/blue could indicate a blood borne parasite also. I wish I could be of some real help here, but nothing is really standing out in my mind. I know all too well how frustrating it can be dealing with an unknown problem.

too little info really to try and guess (age of bird...other symptoms>poos and feed etc. and laying problems etc.)...

The poop is orangish and snotty, but not really foamy. It can be VERY liquid, more so than a chicken's normal. Basically, diarrhea.

Bird seems to have a wide gait that I didn't notice when we got her. She walks like a penguin. Could that be joint inflammation? Otherwise her appetite is good, she doesn't appear to be losing weight (I need a scale) and she's keeping hydrated. Her comb seems more red today after I hand fed her an electrolyte mixture; perhaps she was just a little dehydrated. But everything else remains the same.

Oh yeah, she's two years old.

If any more info would help I'd be appreciative.

cool.png

Last edited:
I would keep her on a mild vitamin mix for a few days and feed her some yogurt to stabilize the digestive enzymes. Is she by some chance coming out of a major moult and moving back into a laying cycle? Droppings can get really sloppy when a hen is coming back into a laying cycle. Besides getting a fecal sample tested that is my best suggestion at the moment.

Also check around the vent if she is walking strangely. If it is distended or there is a sign of a bulge she may have part of a soft shell egg stuck.

Only shots in the dark here. I am sure dlunicorn will have other insights.

Quote:
This would seem to indicate a reproductive disorder..perhaps inflammation of the oviduct or possibly internal layer if her egglaying has stopped or is very off and on... I am giving you a thread with lots of links to different condition with the reproductive tract in the hope that you will recognize something that would apply to your bird:
http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=emergencies&action=display&num=1165115215
(the purple comb will indicate cyanosis/circulation problems which often accompanies reproductive disorder)
and here is my thread of collected articles on POO symptoms to help you interpret what you are seeing and the possible cause of such :
http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=poos&action=display&num=1158478320

it may seem alot of reading but well worth the effort as the same symptoms will occur in many different conditions and only by the small details which you may not have given here can you sometimes figure out what exactly is wrong. Good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom