EWWWWW!! Maggots in vent-use capstar?

crazylilchick

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 31, 2007
Missouri
I am treating my injured duck for maggot infested wounds. Today I noticed she still had a few INSIDE HER VENT! I removed the ones I could get to and haven't seen any more. Her vent is all red and raw. We had treated all her wounds but didn't realize she had them in her vent. I called a wildlife bird rescue group. She said to give her 1/4 of a tablet of small dog capstar. Have any of you heard of this? I called several vets :eek:ne said put her down, one said flush her vent with water, one said flush with iodine and water. Are maggots in the vent a death sentence? Even if I flush it theres no guarantee I got them all. What if it pushed them further up instead of washing them out?I decided to give her the capstar and hope for the best.

She also said I can give her clavamox at 50mg/kg I researched that and found a web site that said 125mg/kg. I gave her the lower dose but don't know if thats right. I had it leftover from my dog.

I have used capstar for fleas on a dog that I adopted from an animal shelter. The vet said that it makes the fleas die and fall off of the dog. I would assume it would be similar with your duck. The capstar would kill the maggots and make them fall off. It's worth a try before you put your duck down, I would think. Maybe you could try that and also flush her vent to wash out as many as you can. Flushing with water wouldn't hurt her and I wouldn't think iodine would hurt, especially if the vet recommended it.

Just a thought but I wouldn't want any of my red and raw parts rinsed with iodine and water. I'd stick with just water.

Good luck! Sending good thought your way.

I just use a spray I get from the feed store/livestock supply. It is made for maggot and screw worm infestations. You just spray it on.
Works great. Doesn't say anything about chickens on the label though, but it works on them just fine. One brand of the spray is KRS but there are others.

I am treating my injured duck for maggot infested wounds. Today I noticed she still had a few INSIDE HER VENT! I removed the ones I could get to and haven't seen any more. Her vent is all red and raw. We had treated all her wounds but didn't realize she had them in her vent. I called a wildlife bird rescue group. She said to give her 1/4 of a tablet of small dog capstar. Have any of you heard of this? I called several vets :eek:ne said put her down, one said flush her vent with water, one said flush with iodine and water. Are maggots in the vent a death sentence? Even if I flush it theres no guarantee I got them all. What if it pushed them further up instead of washing them out?I decided to give her the capstar and hope for the best.

She also said I can give her clavamox at 50mg/kg I researched that and found a web site that said 125mg/kg. I gave her the lower dose but don't know if thats right. I had it leftover from my dog.
I am having the same problem right now with my duck. I flushed with water and pulled out as much as I could then I did the capstar thing. Can someone let me know how long I should let it soak before rinsing her?

Back
Top Bottom