HELP !!Duck with infected wound (graphic photos)

Pics
Oh i couldn't guess. It just looked exactly like what my poor boy went through.
I feel really bad for both of you - empathy!
If you were closer I'd ask for a sample for my Microscope.
I do know one of the bigger concerns i would have would be the infection going systemic. High powered antibiotics would be on my list right away.
I have leftover doxycycline hyclate 100mg, they were for human use but could I give them to her?

I have leftover doxycycline hyclate 100mg, they were for human use but could I give them to her?
Oh gosh. I'm no pro, but i wouldn't. I gave my hen fish flex (cephalexen) for a horrible yeast infection and it cleared it right up. I mean she was about to die so it was desperate then too, but human meds are made in molecular forms for human bodies. If I was life or death desperate again, i would find the closest animal antibiotic to that med, calculate dosage for it and try it.
But I'm going to say "probably not a great idea" because i just wouldn't do it myself.

Some pet stores still sell the ceph. It's called FishFlex. But even that's not recommended. There's no good answer to this, because it truly depends on just how desperately you are worried. My hen was about to die. I had nothing to lose.

I put her on the medicated chick feed too. Easier to digest, and while amprollyn isn't for infection, it is a broad spectrum.

The powers that are really hurt animal owners when they made it impossible to buy animal antibiotics OTC. Like it matters when every store bought meat you get is packed full of chemicals and antibiotics already. Stupid.

Do you mean Amprolium which is found in Chick Starter?
Amprolium is not an antibiotic at all, it's a Coccidiostat.
Wasnt real clear was i? My mistake. I had small chicks from TSC at the time, and before she was ill enough to isolate, she 'mothered' them.
With her immune system so low, i put her on the med. Feed to prevent potential secondary infection from Cocc. the chicks may have had, as a sort of broad spectrum preventative.

Wasnt real clear was i? My mistake. I had small chicks from TSC at the time, and before she was ill enough to isolate, she 'mothered' them.
With her immune system so low, i put her on the med. Feed to prevent potential secondary infection from Cocc. the chicks may have had, as a sort of broad spectrum preventative.
Ah, I see:)

Back
Top Bottom