Hen became a mom, First time having chicks, any tips?

And chick feed is the main menu?

If the chick is cold…> get the baby inside with a warmth lamp/ blanket or whatever you have or can borrow. Be the mamma until the chick is strong enough to walk and eat by itself.

Still wondering how many hens you have beside the broody/momma. A good rooster does not try to mate a mother hen, or assault chicks. but he needs other hens especially when he is stil young. Good you separated them.
Rocky (our rooster) has another hen who he mates with way more than with her, He doesn't bite the chicks and ended up attacking our ducks when they tried biting one of the chicks

How is the poor chick doing today?

Glad to hear your rooster is very protective. Depending on the rooster/breed the advices I have been reading say 3 - 10 hens for 1 rooster. 2 hens is the bare minimum and often causes problem with injuries caused by mating too much.

How is the poor chick doing today?

Glad to hear your rooster is very protective. Depending on the rooster/breed the advices I have been reading say 3 - 10 hens for 1 rooster. 2 hens is the bare minimum and often causes problem with injuries caused by mating too much.
We are getting more hens soon, the chick is doing fine and I have them separated in a little area and i let the momma out every now and then so she can do some dust bathing and eating and she returns to the crate and I close it again, I named the chick 'Hope' 😊

Attachments

• 20240418_165106.jpg
    20240418_165106.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 1
We are getting more hens soon, the chick is doing fine and I have them separated in a little area and i let the momma out every now and then so she can do some dust bathing and eating and she returns to the crate and I close it again, I named the chick 'Hope' 😊
So cute! I’m glad she’s doing good! When my pullet hatched Enola I kept them separate for awhile before putting them in it worked well. Is that a heat lamp? I don’t think the chick needs it since it has momma! Enola is around 14 weeks old and still sleeps under Amelia even though they are the same size! 😂

So cute! I’m glad she’s doing good! When my pullet hatched Enola I kept them separate for awhile before putting them in it worked well. Is that a heat lamp? I don’t think the chick needs it since it has momma! Enola is around 14 weeks old and still sleeps under Amelia even though they are the same size! 😂
I noticed the chick has gotten quite bigger, She used to have trouble jumping out of the nest but shes gets in and out easily. and she chases her momma around, Once in a while the mother hen will squat down and the chick goes in for some warmth and in a few minutes they are back to walking around, I sprinkled some worms around the yard and the mom takes her chick to them and digs them up. So shes doing excellent so far and will probably get better! :)

I noticed the chick has gotten quite bigger, She used to have trouble jumping out of the nest but shes gets in and out easily. and she chases her momma around, Once in a while the mother hen will squat down and the chick goes in for some warmth and in a few minutes they are back to walking around, I sprinkled some worms around the yard and the mom takes her chick to them and digs them up. So shes doing excellent so far and will probably get better! :)
That’s great!

Back
Top Bottom