All of them are different I had four roosters 2 of them were always fighting and escaping one was the sweetest thing he would fall asleep in your hand and very curious. The three mentioned above all started getting into crowing matches and attacking me and one of the hens. We got rid of them for the safety of our family and cocoa (the hen they were attacking). The last rooster continued acting like a hen for the next week. And then he started crowing. He wasn’t mean to us and then hens so he stayed. And sometimes the rooster can do great things for you. Our family’s favorite hen was taken by a predator and we are incubating her eggs and today is hatch day!

One post I read suggests that in a group of straight run chicks, the cockerels will be the outgoing friendly ones, the ones that look at you, even come up to your hand.
This is merely a theory, and may not be the case for you.
That makes sense. That’s how my first cockerel was.

All of them are different I had four roosters 2 of them were always fighting and escaping one was the sweetest thing he would fall asleep in your hand and very curious. The three mentioned above all started getting into crowing matches and attacking me and one of the hens. We got rid of them for the safety of our family and cocoa (the hen they were attacking). The last rooster continued acting like a hen for the next week. And then he started crowing. He wasn’t mean to us and then hens so he stayed. And sometimes the rooster can do great things for you. Our family’s favorite hen was taken by a predator and we are incubating her eggs and today is hatch day!
Good luck with hatching!

Well, if you need references based on how BJG roosters look, I took (almost) daily pictures of my (now passed) rooster and hen BJG until almost 5 weeks old. Looking back at the pictures there was already a difference in comb size at a week old. Just ask if you need pictures, and from what age. They both grew up SUPER quickly.

Well, if you need references based on how BJG roosters look, I took (almost) daily pictures of my (now passed) rooster and hen BJG until almost 5 weeks old. Looking back at the pictures there was already a difference in comb size at a week old. Just ask if you need pictures, and from what age. They both grew up SUPER quickly.
If you could post a few pics that would be great! How was he as a rooster?

What I look for in male chicks starting around two weeks of age is for them to stand more erect when alarmed. On average, the combs and feet on males are larger than females by this time as well. In my American Dominiques the foot size difference works at hatch although with American Games it does not.

If you could post a few pics that would be great! How was he as a rooster?
I never really went outside with them much, but he was a good rooster, he was nice. I’ll show you a picture of him when he was older. Later I’ll show a few pics by week and then if you want specific days I’ll show you. Yes that is a random peahen that flew into our yard.
1681145558867.jpeg

1681145593297.jpeg

This is when I took a picture of his comb because he had fowl pox or something.

Back
Top Bottom