It’s always the good ones…HELP!

PollyGirl21

Free Ranging
6 Years
Apr 15, 2018
Massachusetts
Hey I’m back on BYC after a long time away.

My little sis has a favorite chicken, a Mille fleur d’Uccle who is about 4 years old. She’s always been the most friendly, inquisitive and active of all the birds, we love her pluck!
She is at the bottom of the pecking order.
as of last Saturday, she’s been a bit wobbly on her feet, droopy wings, slightly draggy posture. We thought she needed to lay at first. Vent seems clear. I saw her poop I think. She loves to perch and fly, but she wasn’t able to fly very well. This afternoon I checked on her and she hasn’t left her roost. Her crop seems very full, maybe impacted.

Her comb gets bright red when she moves too much and her breathing becomes somewhat labored. Nostrils and beak are clear. Eyes bright. Now all she wants to do is cuddle, which is very cute but concerning as it is against her nature.

We have a history of mareks and respiratory illness in the flock.

She was acting a bit wobbly a couple months ago and we feared the worst but she recovered fully. Now we think it’s back and worse than before.

Its looking a lot like mareks, but I’m hoping maybe it could be something else more curable?

Also I am concerned about the difficulty breathing, I wonder if the mareks is causing some paralysis in the lungs/heart?
Any confirmation of diagnosis or suggestions would be appreciated, this little gal is very loved.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    528.6 KB · Views: 2
What a sweet little hen!

It could be that Marek's is contributing to her decline if you have this in your flock, but I'd still consider something else going on.

She's 4 years old, you had worried she was having trouble laying an egg. Giving her Calcium Citrate for a few days won't hurt.

Not sure if the crop is emptying, I'd check first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink. If it's not empty, then I'd begin addressing that symptom.
This is the treatment protocols for the crop:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

She has some difficulty breathing; does she have any bloat or fluid in the abdomen below the vent between her legs?

You've dealt with respiratory illness, once you rule out fluid in the abdomen and a crop problem, you can try treating as you would normally treat the respiratory symptoms to see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom