looking for advice for ovation 56 ex

Arnul Torres

Hatching
Apr 28, 2024
first time using this incubator and 32 chicken eggs didnt make it. Temp was 99, humidity 45 and seemed to go up to 60 the last 3 days. Using distilled water also. Turner set to 45 minutes. Anything I can do to increase the survival rate of those eggs?

first time using this incubator and 32 chicken eggs didnt make it. Temp was 99, humidity 45 and seemed to go up to 60 the last 3 days. Using distilled water also. Turner set to 45 minutes. Anything I can do to increase the survival rate of those eggs?
I have two of these.

Temp should be 99.5
I turn at 90 minutes but doubt that matters much.

I use two thermometers/hygrometers to verify temp/humidity as neither incubator is correct. One I run at 100F and the other at 100.3F. That could have been the problem.

Humidity will naturally go up as chicks hatch. If it gets higher than 80, (rarely) I crack one end slightly for a couple of seconds. That'll take it back down.

agree, temp and humidity on a large bator are generally read at the top where the electronics are and wont be the same as at egg level, and temps side to middle can vary a degree or 2 also, so you want to pick an average thats safe, not one at an extreme like the units figure .. so the units' reported parameters are more of a baseline to adjust to .. also i think some of the larger 'tub' type units have an air exchange issue, so yeah, oxygen for 4-5 dozen eggs in a sealed tub with a couple of tiny holes .. problematic .. solution, quickly fan the lid up a couple times a day .. and this is assuming eggs are all viable, a 10 day quick check with a strong flashlight will show which are a clear and which have development in them, make sure to do thst in a warm environment like a steamy bathroom, not under an ac vent ..

Back
Top Bottom