New Member!

Hiya, and welcome to BYC!! :frow

We get about the same amount of snow here and opted for an Amish-built shed. We'd do what @DobieLover suggested above, which would be similar.

We have a steel roof that's pitched pretty good but still snow accumulates and hubby pulls it off with a broad metal rake. We also put our old gutters from the house on it that help with the run-off.

I love what you have though!! :love

Hello Jamie, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
You need a pitched roof made of rafters that are supported by properly sized beams on properly sized and spaced posted on piers set below the frost line.
Yep! The footings are already set and fixed properly - (8" sonotube, about 4ft deep) - I found out when I was trying to run some cables.
Though I'm hesitant given that I know the snow here can get very wet and heavy - and may just do the electric fence wire to keep predators out.

The food (from a post in the other thread) will be inside the coop - so I think I'm safe there, and their water will be fed from a barrel further up the property on a line with nipples.

The run is roughly 12x24, and the inside of the coop is probably 4x8 plus the nest boxes. I posted some photos here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/existing-coop-feedback-ideas.1621411/

Is there a material that would handle snow load well? In Canada we're quite familiar with 2+ft of snow being dropped here.

I was debating properly making a peaked truss and then covering in transparent plastic roofing.
With that size coop, you could have 8 standard to large size birds if you have enough roosting space (about 1 ft of roost per bird)
You could do 10 if you cover the run, so that they can be outdoors on rainy or snowy days.
It's an awesome setup. Good luck!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Best wishes with all your plans! You could always sink new posts beside the 4 corner posts, higher ones in the back, and use galvanized metal sheets as a roof, screwed in at cross beams set at 12 inch increments. Galvanized metal roofing is extremely tough and could handle any amount of snow.

Back
Top Bottom