Not looking too good for shipped eggs

NCchickentender

Songster
Mar 14, 2023
I bought some pretty expensive silkie eggs from the other side of the state. Took less than 24 hours to be shipped and received. The box looked great when I got it and were packed so well, I doubt a fart could have escaped! Got them all in the incubator 6 days ago. I candled on days 4 and 5. Only 2 out of 14 are showing signs of life (that I could tell). I know the risks of buying shipped eggs but only 2 eggs?? My question is what is the latest day for a chance of life in them? Can there be a chance for them even though I can't see anything yet? I'll candle them again tonight but right now I am so disappointed. Thanks

I candled them last night. Only 2 are growing. Zero signs of life in the rest. I kinda already knew this but you know, wishful thinking. I cracked one open but I busted the yoke. I didn't see anything in it though. It was either scrambled or not fertilized. Since they all passed the sniff test and a couple have shells that are a little hard to see in, I'll leave those in for another day

I candled them last night. Only 2 are growing. Zero signs of life in the rest. I kinda already knew this but you know, wishful thinking. I cracked one open but I busted the yoke. I didn't see anything in it though. It was either scrambled or not fertilized. Since they all passed the sniff test and a couple have shells that are a little hard to see in, I'll leave those in for another day
Did you candle before you set the eggs? 2/14 is pretty low, and I'd think it'd be higher since they didn't travel very far. I wonder if it's a fertility issue? Do you have a link to the seller you bought from?

Did you candle before you set the eggs? 2/14 is pretty low, and I'd think it'd be higher since they didn't travel very far. I wonder if it's a fertility issue? Do you have a link to the seller you bought from?
I did. I also weighed them to make sure the humidity is good and they loose enough weight before they go in lockdown. Their weight loss is right on track. I calibrated my govee right before I hatched my byc in this nr360. No issues with that hatch. I was super careful with these eggs cause I really want this breeder's birds. I'm going to candle them one more time tonight, just because, before I crack them open tomorrow to check their fertility. The breeder is very reputable and I have her info. I was just hoping beyond hope that there was a chance before I break them open and check

I did. I also weighed them to make sure the humidity is good and they loose enough weight before they go in lockdown. Their weight loss is right on track. I calibrated my govee right before I hatched my byc in this nr360. No issues with that hatch. I was super careful with these eggs cause I really want this breeder's birds. I'm going to candle them one more time tonight, just because, before I crack them open tomorrow to check their fertility. The breeder is very reputable and I have her info. I was just hoping beyond hope that there was a chance before I break them open and check
You won't be able to tell if they are fertile or not, just if they developed.

Back
Top Bottom