Sick Baby Muscovy Duck

the Old Rebel

Rest in Peace -2011
12 Years
May 12, 2007
Hendersonville NC
I have a one-day-old muscovy duck that sometimes runs in circles and sometimes seems to have trouble controlling its head movements. It is about 2/3 the size of the other babies. I brought it in the house because it looked like someone had been beating up on it. It has some skinned places on its neck and little wings. I thought that, perhaps, the mother is trying to kill it because she knows something is wrong with it. Or is something wrong with it because someone has been picking on it??

Has anyone ever seen this condition in a baby duck? He seems to be eating and drinking ok (if I show him where the water is. He hasn't found it on his yet that I know of). Is there anything I can do for the little guy?? I hate to lose him/her. It is just too cute!

Thanks in advance for your help. Hope you all have a GREAT day!
the Old Rebel

I'm sorry I can't help, but I just wanted to say hi! I'm in the Fletcher/Arden area.

Someone will be along soon with some information for you, I'm sure.

Hey cool! I'm between Fletcher and Edneyville in the Hooper's Creek Area on Old Bald Top Mountain. Maybe we could meet somewhere sometime. We love to share notes with other chicken/bird people. We have guineas, muscovy ducks, turkeys, peacocks, pheasants, and quail, besides about 46 chickens. Thanks for responding!

Have you checked this babies eyes? Sounds to me like it might be blind? Hold the baby and take you finger towards it eye...see if it blinks. I dont know...running in circles....cant find water...just sounds like a sight issue to me.

I have wondered if this baby might be blind in one or both eyes. Will a baby duck blink if you point your finger toward its eyes?? I look him in the eye. Just can't tell if he sees me or not.

He/She is eating and drinking and is quite strong. Its head was swollen a little and I think bruised. It has little skinned places on the back of its neck and the tops of both wings. I think one of the bigger ducks was beating up on it or trying to kill it.

The swelling is gone now. It doesn't run in circles anymore, but it sorta jerks its head from side to side when sitting still.

Are there any other ways to test for blindness? It does not blink when I point my finger at its eyes, but I THINK it sees me. Still, sometimes it jumps when I first put my hand on it.

THANKS for any help you can give me. I truly appreciate it.

Hope you have a GREAT DAY!

try getting a piece of lettuce and putting it on a string. Swing it back and forth in front of the baby duck. IF the duck can see it, she will follow the movement. Good luck. I hope she is ok.

Back
Top Bottom