Turkey hatched with whole yolk attached

Nebrets

Hatching
Apr 30, 2024
I have an unusual hatch. This should be prefaced with the fact that there was an extended power outage 20 days ago (8 days into incubation). I expect some troubled hatches with this, and we have had several that pipped on the wrong side and to that needed assistance because of that, but for the most part, it’s not been horrible. Until this little guy.

I noticed this egg had a pit on the wrong side and was monitoring it. I did a progress check to make sure no one was distressed in their wrong side of the egg part, when this egg had an actively peeping beak and a bunch of greenish yellow stuff started running out of part of the egg shell. I immediately removed this egg as I was highly concerned that it might have an infection in part of it, and that was overflowing, and I was worried about infected gunk getting into the incubator and then causing problems with the rest, the eggs and poults.

The bird was very peepy, the membranes were non-bloody so I went ahead and assisted in a hatch, confused out of my mind. Bird had a large absorbed yolk still attached a separate thick, and and it apparently had broken its yoke, and that is what was oozing out of the egg.

The remaining yolk looks very similar to a placenta. I’m not knowing what to do. I wrapped the yolk in some warm, moist towels, gave the bird some nutrients for energy and electrolytes to help it. Keep on going and left it there for about two hours while I had to run into other stuff and try to figure out what to do with this bird. Based on some advice that I’ve seen, we have decided to tie two strings around the umbilicus, wait 30 minutes, cut close to the turkey, hoping that nothing is herniated. It doesn’t look like anything‘s herniated, but it can be difficult to tell at this stage.

I’m not sure if I should attach pictures or not.

The point of this thread is to inform what we did in this highly unusual situation, and to keep people updated with how this poult does. As the little one has some strength and is peeping, I am reservedly hopeful, but knowing littles can go down quick. As it doesn’t have the yolk, reserve that my others do. I will be syringe feeding it a mix of mash and soft boiled eggs.

I have one other with a spot of unabsorbed yolk, but in my experience as long as it stays clean and dry, it will be fine. It may stay in the incubator a day or two more than most the hatch before transfer to the brooder.

The one with a full yolk will be a day to day wait and decide depending on how things go.

If anyone has experience with a full yolk hanging on to a loud active hatchling, I would love to hear what you did, and how things turned out.

Sounds like a possible yolk infection. Just had a chick hatch this week with a very similar situation, but the yolk was misshapen and had burst, and the green slime was probably from infection. Day 2 after hatch the abdomen was swollen 3-4 times it's normal size and sickly green in spite of sterilizing the heck out of everything around it. 6 days of antibiotics and it's acting like a regular chick and the swelling is gone. We're feeding mashed yolks with nutritional yeast, and a little sav-a-chick in the water with the antibiotics 2 X's a day.

My advice is start on antibiotics ASAP. Doxycycline is one of the easier broad spectrum antibiotics to get. It's worked wonders for my tiny fluff, I was sure it was doomed on day 2...

Last edited:
Sounds like a possible yolk infection. Just had a chick hatch this week with a very similar situation, but the yolk was misshapen and had burst, and the green slime was probably from infection. Day 2 after hatch the abdomen was swollen 3-4 times it's normal size and sickly green in spite of sterilizing the heck out of everything around it. 6 days of antibiotics and it's acting like a regular chick and the swelling is gone. We're feeding mashed yolks with nutritional yeast, and a little sav-a-chick in the water with the antibiotics 2 X's a day.

My advice is start on antibiotics ASAP. Doxycycline is one of the easier broad spectrum antibiotics to get. It's worked wonders for my tiny fluff, I was sure it was doomed on day 2...
I started on antibiotics already. I was about to post. Its cheeping had provided enough pressure to push its intestines out. I have the intestines back in, but I put likelihood of survival lower. Tylan is what I already have on hand, so it has already been given a dose of that because anything involving intestines is high risk for infection.

I will see how it does overnight.

Sounds like a possible yolk infection. Just had a chick hatch this week with a very similar situation, turned out the yolk burst and the green slime was from infection. Day 2 after hatch the abdomen was swollen 3-4 times it's normal size and sickly green in spite of sterilizing the heck out of everything around it. 6 days of antibiotics and it's acting like a regular chick and the swelling is gone. We're feeding mashed yolks with nutritional yeast, and a little sav-a-chick in the water with the antibiotics 2 X's a day.

I started on antibiotics already. I was about to post. Its cheeping had provided enough pressure to push its intestines out. I have the intestines back in, but I put likelihood of survival lower. Tylan is what I already have on hand, so it has already been given a dose of that because anything involving intestines is high risk for infection.

I will see how it does overnight.
Yikes. Tylan is great, it should help raise the odds significantly, especially that it was started so soon. Hopefully the little one pulls through!

Final update, baby did not make it through the night. Not surprising since it had prolapsed its intestines earlier, so even though I was able to get its intestines back inside, that’s never a good sign for a baby.

Back
Top Bottom