What are they? I have 10 day old chicks from a mixed flock.... what do you think they are :)

liz26

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2015
I have 10 day old chicks from a mixed flock. I bought these off ebay to have fun and get some interesting layers ;)
What's in the pen you ask...
The roosters in this pen are -2 Welsummer, 2 Frizzled Olive Eggers, 2 black Sizzles, 1 deep Olive Eggers, 1black Frizzle Cochin, 1 Blue Ameraucana, 1 Cream Legbar and 1 Easter Egger.
The hens in this pen are - 2 Frizzled Olive Eggers, 3 Welsummer, 2 Olive Eggers, 1 black Frizzle Cochin, 2 Blue Ameraucana, 1 Cream Legbar, 3 Easter Eggers, 1 Mille Fleur D'Uccle, 1 Salmon Faverolles, 1 White Crested Black Polish, 1 Buckeye, 1 Blue Andalusian, 3 Silkies asst. colors, 4 Black Copper Marans, 1 Silver Cuckoo Marans and 1 White Showgirl. So as you can see you could end up with some very interesting and rare crosses
1f604.png

#1=dark brown speckled- I sexed pullet (still new to this)

#2= Dark brown speckled- I sexed pullet

#3= green egg- I sexed pullet

#4= 1/2 medium& 1/2 dark brown with speckles- I sexed cockerel (don't worry he is nice and fluffy now lol)

#5- dark brown speckled- I sexed cockerel notice one of two with leg feathering :)

#6- extra large medium brown egg with marron speckles all over it- I sexed cockerel

#7= dark brown- I sexed cockerel, notice one of two with leg feathering :)

#8= medium colored brown egg- I sexed pullet

#9 Dark brown- I sexed pullet

#10- light brown egg- I sexed pullet

Dark brown color I am describing

dark brown speckled

medium brown

Anddd a couple pics just for fun :) I hope I can get some help with identification! I will update with weekly pics for fun :D super excited about my babies!!!!

They are so cute!

There are just guesses:

1 appears to have either blue or black genetics in it (blue genetics can lead to black chickens). Because of this, I would guess either the rooster was an Ameraucana or the hen is an Ameraucana. If it had any cochin or sizzle it would have feathered legs, as these tend to be dominant.

2 has an adorable beard so either had Easter Egger or Salmon Faverolle. The lack of leg breathing makes me think it is not a cochin or silkie/sizzle that put its genetics into it.

3 looks like part Showgirl and part Easter Egger, as it has an adorable naked-neck!

4 has a white spot on the head, pointing to a Cucko maran likely being in its heritage.

5 either has cochin or silkie/sizzle in it

6 looks like it could have Easter Egger in it

7 is part cochin if it has a normal number of toes and part silkie/sizzle if it has extra toes

8 is likely part Ameraucana, since it is black but came from a brown egg

9 could be part Black Cuckoo Maran and part Ameraucana or EE as it seems to have a bit of a beard

10 appears to be part Black Copper Maran, just because of the lighter top of the head.

Again, just guesses. And again, they are adorable!
smile.png

They are so cute!

There are just guesses:

1 appears to have either blue or black genetics in it (blue genetics can lead to black chickens). Because of this, I would guess either the rooster was an Ameraucana or the hen is an Ameraucana. If it had any cochin or sizzle it would have feathered legs, as these tend to be dominant.

2 has an adorable beard so either had Easter Egger or Salmon Faverolle. The lack of leg breathing makes me think it is not a cochin or silkie/sizzle that put its genetics into it.

3 looks like part Showgirl and part Easter Egger, as it has an adorable naked-neck!

4 has a white spot on the head, pointing to a Cucko maran likely being in its heritage.

5 either has cochin or silkie/sizzle in it

6 looks like it could have Easter Egger in it

7 is part cochin if it has a normal number of toes and part silkie/sizzle if it has extra toes

8 is likely part Ameraucana, since it is black but came from a brown egg

9 could be part Black Cuckoo Maran and part Ameraucana or EE as it seems to have a bit of a beard

10 appears to be part Black Copper Maran, just because of the lighter top of the head.

Again, just guesses. And again, they are adorable!
smile.png
x2 I love them!! (but 2 and 9 are my favorites....don't tell them though
hide.gif
)

Last edited:
I know right! thanks for the responses! I am very partial to the show girl mix.... and sooo thankful I took a gamble with her egg as it was cracked during shipping, I threw some nail polish on it and set it... extremely happy with this hatch!

Back
Top Bottom