What did you do with your flock today?

Woke up this morning and gathered the troops (my kiddo) to pull this out of the yard.
View attachment 3831069
View attachment 3831070
If y'all have it in your yard, it's silverleaf nightshade... And it's toxic. The flowers are typically purple, though they can be white, and the unripe berries are green with stripes. The ripe berries are yellow or orange.

I lost a few chickens when winter hit last year because all the green stuff died off, but the stupid nightshade hadn't.... So this year I know what it is, and get it kill it.

Let the chickens out afterwards, and they got a nice treat of old eggs and egg shells all squished up.

Otherwise I got to let out the momma hen to have some time teaching the chicks about life outside of my maternity ward. (Supervised, of course)View attachment 3831076View attachment 3831077
That nightshade is definitely a nasty one! Hope you were able to get it all!

Happy Mothers Day GIF

Wanted to sneak in a Happy Mother’s Day to everyone! ❤️ Been crazy busy lately and hoping all is well with all of you!

Yesterday was the big Farm Expo. Things were a bit slower this year and I brought home way too many chicks I wanted to sell, but it was still fun. I also ended up having a friend buy me three olive eggers (two wheaten and 1 black) for my birthday (also yesterday), had another vendor give me two pure Ameraucana pullets for free, and I was asked to take the raffle prize birds that weren’t collected at the end of the day…2 bobwhite quail 🤪 So I’ll be selling birds for the next few months I think, 🤪 pretty sure I don’t have space for spastic bobwhites! 😆 They’re sure pretty though. 🥰
A very happy birthday for yesterday!

Happy Mothers Day GIF

Wanted to sneak in a Happy Mother’s Day to everyone! ❤️ Been crazy busy lately and hoping all is well with all of you!

Yesterday was the big Farm Expo. Things were a bit slower this year and I brought home way too many chicks I wanted to sell, but it was still fun. I also ended up having a friend buy me three olive eggers (two wheaten and 1 black) for my birthday (also yesterday), had another vendor give me two pure Ameraucana pullets for free, and I was asked to take the raffle prize birds that weren’t collected at the end of the day…2 bobwhite quail 🤪 So I’ll be selling birds for the next few months I think, 🤪 pretty sure I don’t have space for spastic bobwhites! 😆 They’re sure pretty though. 🥰
Sounds like a wonderful time and darling people!

I finally have some pictures of the not so little girls. That's a big girl in the foreground of the first pic. All are having a great time foraging, chest bumping, running to get treats. Changed all the feed to 19% for everyone, so no worries about the pullets getting unintended calcium until 6 more weeks. They made 10 weeks on Tuesday.
Onyx seems back to her normal self. Hasn't laid any more eggs yet. Not sure what her ailment was, but am relieved that she is well.
20240512_171139.jpg

Attachments

• 20240512_171307.jpg
    20240512_171307.jpg
    883 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240512_170806.jpg
    20240512_170806.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom